• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First attempt at Drawing and Painting Birds (1 Viewer)

Don't get me wrong, i would be nothing if I didn't have the advice of the fellow Artists on this Forum. I have a huge amount of respect for all the painters on here, especially now I have seen for myself just how difficult painting can be.

As with most things artistic I ofcourse have a different view on what I think is good compared to different people, so with the current point of view that i appear to be putting accross - I dont fully take on board the advice handed to me - I definately do.

Its not that I don't like the painting of the owl, just that I wasn't happy with the lighting of the bird compared to the rest of the painting. I thought it was my personal best scenery picture, and with this in mind, it certainly was fun to paint.

Thats what painting should be in the end - Fun!

Thanks for reading and keeping updated with my Thread!

Thats what painting should be in the end - Fun!
Thanks for reading and keeping updated with my Thread!

Hi Zac

Exactly, as you say painting should be fun!! :t:

No worries here I will keep an eye out here for your paintings, as they are really, really good.

You should not confuse self criticism with expression! Any good artist needs to show off their talent to an audience (the Gallery) in order to recieve a reaction (praise or critisism). How can you know whether your art is good or bad otherwise?.

If you have a given talent, it is unhealthy to keep it to yourself, as is being over-self critical. Find an art form that both stimulates you and your ''audience'' or your talent will never flourish.

Approval and praise are not always a good measure for progression.

Read, visit an Art Gallery, a Museum or wherever you can find the art that stimulates you. Make love (many times!), howl at the moon, live your life. These experiences will serve to enhance your character and make you a better artist, without them you will forever be drawing 'Glossy Ibis; with an HB pencil!

Nice barny Zac.

I'd agree with others, you seem to be getting light into your paintings from the start, and that's not an easy thing to do. Keep on doing what you're doing, you're definately headed in the right directioin there!

Mike

Couple of Sketches....

Not got round to the Sparrow yet as im spending a lot of the time doing a picture for a friends birthday.

Zac

Attachments

• ZICC Page 4010.jpg
    ZICC Page 4010.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 62
  • ZICC Page 4011.jpg
    ZICC Page 4011.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 65
Its actually a Pec sand, but I can see what you mean. Thanks

(note, I havn't recently seen any of these two (only seen pec twice both times it was distant) so these are not field sketches

Great to see you are sticking with it Zac, keep it up! Love a lot of these lates drawings.

(try getting out and sketching more in the field, or just draw birds from your window if you have a back garden, if so why not get a bird table or bag of peanuts up near the window. )

Ive just changed the food back to RSPB, as the previous food seemed to 'scare' the birds away. I have done this because I would like to get as many birds as possible back as I am hoping to train as a ringer, and if I get a C permit which would allow me to ring in my garden, I want as many birds as i can get rather than the same pair of Blue tits over and over.
I am certainly going to stick to sketching whenever I can but until the summer, I don't think I will get much time for painting...

Good to hear you're going to stick with the sketching. I always get my bird seed and fatballs from the same place, I changed it once and the birds didn't seem impressed!

Mike

Hi Everyone.
Hopefully I am back at bird drawing for a while as Ive finally finished my friends picture for her birthday...

took a while though

Zac

(p.s. Don't worry - its at a funny angle)

Attachments

• IMG_5583.JPG
    IMG_5583.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 78
It is indeed a Caspain Tern Nick. I managed to get Caspian Tern this week on a 5 day trip to NE Spain...what a stonker
got several ticks and great views of a lot of species so will post some sketches tomorrow

Zac

Hi Everyone

as I've had a quiet spell, I thought I'd post a picture of a Hoodie Im working on at the moment. I am hoping to (if happy) send send a small selection off the Lancashire Bird Report. Hooded Crow is one of those and the first of maybe 2 or 3 (inc. Deset Wheatear and maybe an improved version of the caspian tern I have previously posted)

I am going to make some changed to the tail, legs, and probably the primaries.

Does anyone have any constructive critisism they would like to share so that I dont look a fool :t: ;)

Thanks

Attachments

• Hooded Crow001.jpg
    Hooded Crow001.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 127
It looks excellent to me Zac and I'm sure the report author will be delighted to receive your contributions. Good luck and well done.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back