• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Africa (3 Viewers)

If you are staying any length of time in Nelspruit, try the Nelspruit Botanical Gardens. They have a rainforest (artificial rain), a river, an aloe garden, a lot of indigenous plants and the birding can be quite good there. I agree, take your Sigma 50 - 500 and a monopod, but take note of what GiGi said, and do not flash your gear around when on your own in an unprotected area. If you look on the SANParks Forum they have a birding section :
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=46&sid=7a839d021e0480c21366d022cf843e38
you might get some good tips on best birding areas in Kruger. The greatest number of birds are usually in the camps and near water such as rivers or waterholes. With regard to Mozzies, wear long-sleeves and long trousers in the evenings if you sit outside, take citronella candles and use citronella soap. I don't like stuff like Deet so I use citronella oil. You can buy something called Mosquito Wipes which are impregnated with citronella in some places, we found these wonderful - I think Outdoor and Camping Centres may have them. It is essential that you take prophylactics, starting at least four days before you enter the malarial area (this includes Nelspruit) and ending nine days after you have left the area. If you feel as though you are getting a cold/headachey/achey/flu-ish afterwards, go immediately and get a blood test for malaria. It is much easier to treat if caught early. Hope you will have an amazing time. Do you know which camps you will be in in Kruger?

Good information, but with regard to the taking of prophylactics best leave it to the doctor to prescribe as not all are taken 4 days before and 9 days after. Just ask your GP.

Hi.
Thanks for the replys, I will be visiting the following.
Blyde River Canyon-Sabie River-Nelspruit-Carolina-Bivane River-George-Knysna-Featherbed Nature Reserve-Hartenbos-Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens
-Cape Point and Cape of Good Hope

Regards John B

Is it primarily a bird trip?

If so that Featherbed may dissapoint - I've been there twice
and seen little in the way of birds, but it is a stunning place.

Natures Valley just to North of Plettenberg bay, and Keurbooms and Bitou
rivers are usually better for birds, and you should get the gorgeous
Knyna Touraco / Lourie then.

Are you driving yourself?

De Hoop and Betty's Bay are well worth visits.

DJ

Hi Guys.
Thanks for all the info, the trip is not all birding but sight seeing as well, as for the tablets we have been told to take them Two days before Kruger and then for Ten days after just in case.
We are staying at a hotel on the edge of Kruger which is situated on the banks of the Sable River then going into the National Park from there.
We then continue our journey through S/Africa.

Hi Guys.
Thanks for all the info, the trip is not all birding but sight seeing as well, as for the tablets we have been told to take them Two days before Kruger and then for Ten days after just in case.

No, it is not "just in case" - it is essential.

The life cycle of the malarial parasite is complicated
but the drugs do not work on the injected parasites
(Sporocytes) but rather the next generation of parasite
both within (new er drugs) and when ejected from liver
cells (merozoites).

Many cases of malaria in UK are because people stop
when they leave the malarial area. though the risk in
Kruger in the dry season is not like some other areas
of Africa.

the trip is not all birding but sight seeing as well

Then whilst in Knysna you will need to do a whale and Dolphin
watching trip
- you will be right at the height of the "Whale season"
with this year's crop of Southern Right Whales Babies being
sheherded by their Mums prior to the trek back to their summer
arctic feeding grounds.

Check
www.oceanodyssey.co.za/
They do 3 hour trips in contrast to Pletenberg bay 1.5 - 2 hrs
and are far more knowledgeable and less commercial.

I would do this in preference to Featherbed if the option was
one trip only.

Stunningly beautiful coast and good chance of seeing the very rare
and endangered Indo-Pacific Humpback Dolphin - there is a pod
just to the south of Knysna in Buffalo bay. Common and bottle
nosed dolphin are also common, and Humpback and Brydes whales
are around too. Penguins, pelagics, cape fur seals and hammerhead
sharks also commonly seen. Though for a pelagic boat trip Cape Town
is the jewel in the crown.

Consider getting the book
southern african bird finder
http://10000birds.com/southern-african-birdfinder.htm
(Not on Amazon)

In Cape Town I would add Robben Island and a "Cultural tour".
Robben Island was the ANC's prison. The cultural tour will
help you understand the complicated histroy and modern
cultural difficulties of this great country.

The best time to go up Table Mountain is at Sunset with
a bottle of wine and bit of cheese !!!

And if time, Groote Constantia, Cecil Rhode's old farmstead
and wine farm is stunningly beautiful and insight into the
olden days.

Betty's bay is better for seeing the penguins that Boulders bay, and
you'll get close up of at least two cormorant species and there is
the Harold Porter reserve which is great for Fynbos and birds. A lovely,
lovely place.

pm me is you want more info.

Be very careful not to underestimate driving times

Be very careful not to underestimate driving times

I'd have to strongly second this comment. We spent 5 weeks there in Feb/March.. fantastic! One thing that kept surprising though was the travel times. Although I'm used to long-distance driving here in Australia, the traffic and so on mean that what looks like a few hours drive can take much longer.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back