• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

YLG / Caspian... slighty leucistic? (1 Viewer)

It looks a little bit too pale for a "regular" bird...On the other hand, I have to say that I saw some (somehow) similar birds, here in Romania.
By the way, I like the GBBG from the background...

Hi,

Any good reasons why it's not a washed-out 2nd cal year GBBG ?

Structure, bill, few remaining anchor-shaped scapular, ... better for GBBG IMHO.

When was the pic taken Valéry ?

Hi All,

This bird recall Caspian for paleness
http://www.ornithomedia.com/phorum/file.php?2,file=6458

and is identified such by some; I wonder if it isn't slighty leucistic, which explain pale plumage... thanks for commenting.

Cheers

Fascinating bird. Small head and large body suggests Caspian. But even though the wing coverts are so pale, I can still see darker areas and paler vermiculations. So, a female GBBG? I don't know........

Cheers, Andy.

indeed, a fascinating male caspian. now with the additional pics it is quite obvious. interesting how in some male caspians primary projection can look short - and in the pose of pic 2 (stretched in the wind) the pp looks just right for a big male cachinnans.
in the first pic i was not sure if it is a foreshortened male caspian gonys or a blunt tipped YLG. large eye and somewhat athletic built remind of michahellis indeed. but this snout, strong bill, strong legs and the bleached (not leucistic i think) covert pattern, and, the only really perfect caspian feature here: tertial pattern with a wider crescent than YLG, not undulated at all.

1cy, no question.
it's probably a genetical issue that some individuals (in all large gulls) bleach much faster than others, but this is not leucism.

1cy, no question.
it's probably a genetical issue that some individuals (in all large gulls) bleach much faster than others, but this is not leucism.

Yes indeed. No question that this is bleaching rather than leucism. In that respect, the mantle and scapulars fit Caspian better.

Cheers, Andy.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back