• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sparrow with white feathers?? (1 Viewer)

strongbow

hi im pretty new to bird watching/feeding but not to bad at identifing birds or so i thought i have a bird at my table that is the size of a sparrow but with green finch markings but coloured snow white (male greenfinch) anybody shed any light on this please looked in all my books no matches found

Hi Strongbow. :hi: Do you mean the bird is predominantly snow white all over? Could you be a little more specific about the markings? Don't suppose you have a photo...?

Also, just a suggestion, but it might be useful to ask this question in the bird ID section/forum - people are very helpful with IDs there and you might get more response. Just a thought! ;)

Probably a leucistic ("partial albino" in common parlance, though leucism isn't really the same as albinism) common bird, I'd have thought - there's a few leucistic blackbirds and crows in the gallery, but the same condition can occur in any bird.

Photo would be good though...

Partial albinism is fairly common in sparrows, locally we have them ranging from ones with a single white feather to ones that are mainly white. Attched is a photo of amale house sparrow with white tail feathers, one of the local females has as much white in eth wing as a snow bunting (but alas no photos of her yet).

Attachments

• housesparrow041105a.jpg
    housesparrow041105a.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,412
strongbow said:
hi im pretty new to bird watching/feeding but not to bad at identifing birds or so i thought i have a bird at my table that is the size of a sparrow but with green finch markings but coloured snow white (male greenfinch) anybody shed any light on this please looked in all my books no matches found

Hi

Whereabouts in "sunny" Hereford are you? Don't want to miss a mega on my doorstep ! Could pop round and have a look if you like?

Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back