Thread: Birds fae Torry
View Single Post
Old Tuesday 6th November 2007, 20:44   #205
Helenelizabeth2
What?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Whitehouse View Post
There's been a lot of talk on BF lately about supression, and this has really made me think differently about the birds I see at Girdle Ness and the way I report them on here. So today I kept an open mind, stopped believing the RSPB and kept other observers fully informed.

Seawatching from the flat early in the morning produced a light passage of Wandering Albatross. A lot of people think that these birds don't occur in British waters but they can easily be seen early in the morning in light westerlies as they move from their Shetland breeding grounds to feed in the southern North Sea. 39 were counted moving south - good but not a patch on the amazing 6000+ I had a couple of weeks ago. Spectacular!

The Allotments have had some good migrants recently and a bit of overnight rain had brought a nice fall of Eastern Crowned Warblers and Siberian Accentors. Both these species seem to be getting commoner these days - I remember that I used to think they were pretty rare!

Greyhope Bay held one of the regular Steller's Sea Eagles and I was lucky to watch one catching and eating a Wandering Tatler. Amazing! Then the young bird that fledged this year from the nest at the Lighthouse came in and joined in the feast! It's incredible to think that, despite them nesting regularly in a well-watched area on the edge of a large city, most birders don't think these large and impressive birds have even been recorded in the UK! That's what comes from believing everything the RSPB and the BTO tell you!!

A look through the gulls in the harbour turned up three species that I believe to be new to science. A good haul from just a couple of hundred birds!

Finally the Battery came up trumps with a cracking male Guldenstadt's Redstart - a first for Britain! And my fourth first for Britain this week! Ordinarily I'd have reported it as a Common Redstart some time tomorrow and then re-identified it from photos a few weeks later. But this is the new era when I'm not supressing anything!

I returned home after an enjoyable walk and watched the flocks of Evening Grosbeaks coming to my feeders - it looks like being a good winter for that species.
You know the rumour mill will have turned this little crop into certain fact and added a few extra for good measure by this time tomorrow, don't you? And then the crowds will start pouring in and your lovely peaceful patch will be trampled mercilessly by hordes of filthy, smelly, rarity-hungry twitching types. And then after a few days with no confirmation of any of these sightings they will be after your blood. Hundreds of them.

I suggest you come and have a quiet break at a secret address in Peterborough.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation