• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (1 Viewer)

Congratulations you two on the Richard's Pipit. Its a very obliging bird. I wonder if anything else of this interest will turn up at the Ness, what with the awful weather yesterday. ;)

Was out with my dog just now and was pleasantly surprised,when 8 Whooper Swans flew quite low overhead up Abbey Place and over Balnagask Road at 22.10pm.Perhaps they were looking for Mr Whitehouse..!

Was out with my dog just now and was pleasantly surprised,when 8 Whooper Swans flew quite low overhead up Abbey Place and over Balnagask Road at 22.10pm.Perhaps they were looking for Mr Whitehouse..!

These must have been the same ones that I heard while trying not to watch the american version of Strictly Come Dancing last night!

Lovely morning here in Torry. There was no sign at all of the Richard's Pipit on a couple or sorties around the old building. It was last reported on Wednesday and has perhaps moved on.

Otherwise there were a couple of interesting things but it was generally quiet. Four Siskins were in amongst Goldfinches in the Plotties. The best birds were four Pale-bellied Brent Geese flying south just off the Coo at 11am. The Freak was in Walker Park and a female Stonechat was on the south bank. A single Harbour Porpoise was around the river mouth. Not much else, although I notice there was a report of a Rough-legged Buzzard flying south over Blackdog early this morning. I bet it came this way. Darn.

And here's a bit of a strange website from Torry:
http://www.torryegarage.org.uk/
What's it all about.

Cold and clear again in Torry this morning, and I was taking out a group of students from the University. Birding was a bit quiet but there was usually something for people to look at. The highlight was a fetching winter-plumaged Black Guillemot in Greyhope Bay. A pair of Stonechats were on the bank there and I briefly saw a Harbour Porpoise a couple of times. That was about it.

It was a surprisingly pleasant day to be out today, cool, cloudy and windless, ideal for spotting any movement in bushes. Unfortunately the only things moving were Blackbirds. After two tours round the Battery I realised I was herding the same four or five birds. A walk the length of the north bank and back by the allotments produced a few Robins, Wrens and Dunnocks, but nothing more exciting, until at 2.20pm I spotted a kerfuffle in the sky roughly over the south breakwater. A Short-eared Owl was trying to sneak past the Torry immigration police, but a crow and a few gulls were having none of it. The owl was last seen flying higher and higher, and heading back out to sea.

Great spot on the Short-eared Owl Ken. Well done! I am still yet to see one in Britain. The Ness would be an ideal place to see one for the first time, that's for sure. ;)

very quiet out on the ness this morning apart from a very nice flock of 8 snow buntings in the car park in greyhope bay. Very confiding they were too! I think someone mightbe baiting the site for them as there was some corn scattered around that they were feeding on.....

Some photos on the blog.

very quiet out on the ness this morning apart from a very nice flock of 8 snow buntings in the car park in greyhope bay. Very confiding they were too! I think someone mightbe baiting the site for them as there was some corn scattered around that they were feeding on.....

Some photos on the blog.

there's enough corn on this thread already without someone spreading it about. ;)

Nice pics.

That's good to hear Mark. Haven't actually seen Snow Bunting for a while, and I am kind of aiming to see them when I go out birding tomorrow. It would be nice to see them at the Ness, so I'll have a look for them there tomorrow. Also, nice pictures. ;)

The Snow Buntings were showing very obligingly today at around midday today. It was good to see them still there. However, the Oriental Turtle Dove was something else! ;)

Last edited:
Snow Buntings. I like them. And it seems that, as previously reported on 'Birds fae Torry', someone else likes them to the tune of putting lots of seed out for them to feed on. A big round of applause for our mysterious benefactor. Anyway, there are eight of them still, in the car park at Greyhope Bay and they're nice. I got some pictures.

Not too much else in the robust winds today. A Fieldfare flew over, 59 Purple Sandpipers were roosting on Greyhope Bay, along with a more surprising Golden Plover. Offshore were at least 5 Red-throated Divers, 3 Common Scoters and a Goldeneye. The pair of Stonechats were again on the bank at Greyhope Bay.

And then I got distracted...

Attachments

• Snow_Bunting_Girdle_Ness_141109j.jpg
    Snow_Bunting_Girdle_Ness_141109j.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Snow_Bunting_Girdle_Ness_141109a.jpg
    Snow_Bunting_Girdle_Ness_141109a.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 88
  • Snow_Bunting_Girdle_Ness_141109c.jpg
    Snow_Bunting_Girdle_Ness_141109c.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Snow_Bunting_Girdle_Ness_141109g.jpg
    Snow_Bunting_Girdle_Ness_141109g.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Snow_Bunting_Girdle_Ness_141109f.jpg
    Snow_Bunting_Girdle_Ness_141109f.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 120
These traffic lights made an unexpected appearance. I assume they've been acquired as part of traffic control measures in anticipation of forthcoming big rares.

Attachments

• Traffic Lights.jpg
    Traffic Lights.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 93
Still 7 Snow Buntings in the Greyhope Bay car park, still feeding on corn. Managed a few photos in spite of the darkness and rain at 3.00pm today. The Freak was all alone on the rocks, all his mates were on the golf course.

Attachments

• 1850 Snow Bunting.jpg
    1850 Snow Bunting.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 105
In all this excitement I kind of lost track of things, and forgot to mention stuff I saw on Sunday. The big news was of course, a new total for the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser. Our team have been working around the clock to collate the figures and I can now exclusively reveal that on Sunday there were,

That's right. 223. Bing! Give yourselves a round of applause. Also there were 80 Redshanks and 48 Turnstones roosting. The Freak was in Greyhope Bay and the eight Snow Buntings were looking their decorative best in the car park. Three Red-throated Divers were offshore and a male Stonechat was on the bank. In Walker Park there were nine Ringed Plovers and, very strangely, three Purple Sandpipers. Not sure I've ever seen any in there before, but hey, it was a big day for Purple Sands so anything goes. Off the Coo a Great-northern Diver flew south, three female Common Scoters were one the sea and groups of 9 and 10 went through. Five Gannets went through and a Kittiwake was still around the harbour mouth. Another male Stonechat was at St Fittick's.

Some more saucy Snow Bunting snaps.

Attachments

• Snow_Bunting_Girdle_Ness_151109b.jpg
    Snow_Bunting_Girdle_Ness_151109b.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Snow_Bunting_Girdle_Ness_151109c.jpg
    Snow_Bunting_Girdle_Ness_151109c.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Snow_Bunting_Girdle_Ness_151109e.jpg
    Snow_Bunting_Girdle_Ness_151109e.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 90

Users who are viewing this thread