• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P300 for Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

I might need a hammer and chisel to get it open... The camera is put aside for me for a couple of days while I ponder it, but I know I'll end up with it.

I see there's a Coolpix P310 knocking about (maybe everyone on this thread knows this already). No idea if better for digi though: if it has better macro as claimed here, that might be relevant

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-P300-vs-Nikon-P310

while I'm at it- here's a Shoveler with P300 from this morning, uncropped, unsharpened etc. just re-sized

Attachments

• q9 550shoel.jpg
    q9 550shoel.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Decided to upgrade my camera adapter to Version2.A more precise and cosmetically improved adaptor.

So, Birdspotter, did you decide not to get the FSB-8 adaptor? Did you find that your home made one worked sufficiently well in the end? If so, please can you let me know how you made it (eg. what length and diameter the tubes are, and how you fixed/painted them)?

I ask because I would really like to get one of these cameras, but I can't afford both the camera and the adaptor! :-C

Many thanks

So, Birdspotter, did you decide not to get the FSB-8 adaptor? Did you find that your home made one worked sufficiently well in the end? If so, please can you let me know how you made it (eg. what length and diameter the tubes are, and how you fixed/painted them)?

I ask because I would really like to get one of these cameras, but I can't afford both the camera and the adaptor! :-C

Many thanks

I definitely recommend trying out your own in the first instance if you are on a budget.

My homemade one (see pics earlier in the thread) works pretty much as well as any similar slide on adaptor such as the Swarovski DCA). The diameter of the tube will of course depend on your eyepiece.

The following video by Erik Normark is excellent and I have shamelessly used various ideas of his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXZuMFV-Yhw

Mine is used with a P300 and Swarovski 20-60S zoom. I found a tube of rigid plastic that fits smoothly but fairly snugly (not tight otherwise it'd be difficult to get on and off) over the eyepiece. If you don't have a tube the right size then the video gives a smart idea of how to make one.

The Swaro 20-60S has slightly larger diameter than the lens surround on the P300 so I then put tape around the end of the tube, folding it over into the inside of the tube to pack out the inner diameter, decreasing the diameter by a few mm until it fit tightly and snugly over the lens surround.

I then experimented with the extension of the lens, handholding the camera to the eyepiece to work out a suitable distance of the lens from the eyepiece. I then cut the adaptor to a length that would ensure when extended the lens is the right distance from the eyepiece.

To keep the camera from falling off the adaptor, you could do what Erik does with elastic bands. I did this initially using paper clipes taped to the the tube to hold the band. However I found the band was irritating, getting in the way of buttons and/or the LCD screen, so instead I secured a flat piece of metal lengthways along the outside of the tube, again just using tape. I made a hole in the end and bent the metal into place so that it the hole aligns with the tripod mount. A small 1/4 whitworth bolt then holds the adaptor in place.

An alternative if you can't find a tube with exactly the right diameter is to make one by trimming the top and bottom from a larger rigid cylindrical plastic bottle. Then cut lengthways so that if you flattened it out you'd have a rectangle of plastic. This wants to resume its cylindrical shape and you can decrease the diameter by squeezing a bit more so the long edges overlap. Tape it into position and you have a tubeo f the right diameter.

Cheers, Ian

Well I pick up my p300 this morning. A quick play with it seems promising, I reckon I'll get away with handheld digiscoping with it, the fast frame rate is very useful.

Many thanks

Hello - Yes I did buy the FSB-8 adaptor. Both versions of my home made adaptor worked but camera movement occured when I pressed the shutter button.
Perhaps I could have purchased a cable release and attached it some how to the adaptor to engage the shutter button,but decided to buy the offical Nikon FSB-8 adaptor.

The Bird Spotter Adaptor Version 2 (Pat Pending) Instructions.
  • Cardboard tubing good quality.
  • Black & silver tape for covering the tubing.
  • Tube Length: 50mm
  • Tube Internal Diameter 60mm one end (Coolpix Camera)
  • Tube Internal Diameter 54mm other end (Fits over rubber eyepiece)
  • When placing the tube over the camera lens housing and eyepiece rubber, it needs to be a "snug" fit.

Attachments

• Adaptor#2.jpg
    Adaptor#2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 146
  • V2.jpg
    V2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Has anyone used the 75x DS wide eyepiece with the Nikon ED82 & FSB-8 bracket,if so how did you get on?
Only asking as I wish to have a higher magnification configuration at times.
The 30x DS wide eyepiece works very well. When I initially switch on the camera “vignetting” occurs as expected. Zooming in a little corrects this.
Presumably with the 75x DS wide eyepiece “vignetting” is more extreme at first and more zoom is required.

I have a 50x DS wide-angle eyepiece. Good for birdwatching but difficult to digiscope with unless you are only interested in getting record shots. It is difficult to focus and very prone to wind and other minor vibrations. Only used it sparingly for birdwatching :C

Thank you so much ianreid and birdspotter for your very in-depth replies. I now know that I can make a temporary adapter while saving for the FSB-8, but can get the camera in the meantime. :)

Well handheld seems to work ok but I would like to work a way to use it with my DCA for taking video clips. Has anyone got any cheap and easy solutions for connecting the camera to the DCA?

Well handheld seems to work ok but I would like to work a way to use it with my DCA for taking video clips. Has anyone got any cheap and easy solutions for connecting the camera to the DCA?

Not a positively helpful msg, sorry, but I can comment that the Jackar Universal Adaptor that has been used successfully with the Canon S95 does *not* quite fit the P300. The outer barrel of the P300 lens is about 2-3mm too wide for the inner diameter of the Jackar's tube.

The company suggested to me that I could get around this by moving the adaptor tube away from the lens using the adjustments available on the adaptor. I tried this but it puts the lens further away from the eyepiece than ideal, increasing vignetting.

The principal of this adaptor, though, is one that you might be able to make. The basic idea is that it screws into the tripod thread at the base of the camera and holds a suitable female filter thread in front of the lens. You can then screw a standard sized filter, or the DCA into this.

SRB-Griturn is a very helpful company from whom I have bought various bits and pieces, though mostly some time ago. They also have a similar adaptor (may be the same one) that you can see here: http://www.srb-griturn.com/dc-mount-1602-p.asp. If you went the DIY route then they sell various stepping rings that you could use for the filter thread.

Cheers, Ian

Some improvement over my previous attempts (cheap scope, good eyepiece, DIY plastic adapter, P300 -- see details at post No 72). I had to work to remove CA (some still visible though) and to make some adjustments in PS (levels and sharpening mainly) but I think this is not bad. Bird was about 8 m away.

Attachments

• DSCN0417xx.jpg
    DSCN0417xx.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 246
I see there's a Coolpix P310 knocking about (maybe everyone on this thread knows this already). No idea if better for digi though: if it has better macro as claimed here, that might be relevant

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-P300-vs-Nikon-P310

while I'm at it- here's a Shoveler with P300 from this morning, uncropped, unsharpened etc. just re-sized

P310 is cracking... only just got it but been posting a few photos and videos on my blog http://thedrunkbirder.wordpress.com/

I've also attached a shot of a Goldfich from last Sunday at Bempton Cliffs. Only one problem so far... I had to but a new PC that was fast enough to edit the HD videos! ;)

Attachments

• goldfinch_bc_6_5_12.jpg
    goldfinch_bc_6_5_12.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 217
my first day out in the field with the p300 produced quite pleasing results, poor light didn't help but the fast frame rate helped to nail some shots.

Attachments

• beeeaterDSCN1892.jpg
    beeeaterDSCN1892.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 137
  • beeeaterDSCN1926.jpg
    beeeaterDSCN1926.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 132
  • beeeaterDSCN2111.jpg
    beeeaterDSCN2111.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 148
  • beeeaterDSCN2160.jpg
    beeeaterDSCN2160.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 171
P310 is cracking... only just got it but been posting a few photos and videos on my blog http://thedrunkbirder.wordpress.com/

I've also attached a shot of a Goldfich from last Sunday at Bempton Cliffs. Only one problem so far... I had to but a new PC that was fast enough to edit the HD videos! ;)

Lovely pic, John. Is this the full res and have you done much post-processing?

Readers of this thread will know that for all the things I like about my P300, I still dislike the overly processed look of full res pics. If that issue has been addressed in the P310 then I might have to upgrade...

Ian

PS. Like a complete idiot, I drove yesterday to the Herefordshire CCC with my P300 sat on top of the computer at home. Didn't even realise until I got there. Could have been adorning this forum with pics with one of the megas of the British year. :-(

My P300 hadn't been out for a while so I took it with me today to the local park for a shootout with the Nikon V1,Panasonic GF1 and Canon G1 X.
Here are some photos from the P300.
I used the Swarovski UCA adapter which I use for 90% of my digiscoping.
Neil

Nikon P300 and Kowa Lens/scope and Kowa 20-60x zoom at 20x

Hong Kong,
China.
May 2012

Attachments

• bc night heron imm P300 kwzm20x DSCN9814.jpg
    bc night heron imm P300 kwzm20x DSCN9814.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 155
  • bc night heron imm P300 kwzm30x DSCN9848.jpg
    bc night heron imm P300 kwzm30x DSCN9848.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 182
  • bc night heron P300 kwzm30x DSCN9875.jpg
    bc night heron P300 kwzm30x DSCN9875.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 161
My P300 hadn't been out for a while so I took it with me today to the local park for a shootout with the Nikon V1,Panasonic GF1 and Canon G1 X.

I'd be interested to hear which 'won' the shoot out. What is currently your prefered digiscoping rig?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back