• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (1 Viewer)

As well as the Great White Egret showing amazingly well from Paddy's Pool Hide (and sometimes not amazingly well) there were also 2 Wood Sandpipers present from about 16:00 onwards. Hopefully all three will stick around till tomorrow and be joined by something else :)

Houghton Local Patch 09

Houghton Gate c1800
Temminck's Stint, Black-tailed Godwit & a Wheatear.

Great to meet Lardy & Jason :t:

Good going Neil. :t:
A great "finders" bird anywhere, but especially so when its a site first :king:

Looks like there been a steady stream of admirers through this weekend, its a beautifully marked bird.

Thanks for the call - certainly a nice little bonus at the end of the day for yesterdays Bird Race teams :t:
We got through to find 3 keen local patchers with scopes (& smiles) trained on the bird.
We only managed 3 birds after watching your Stint . . . Little, Long-eared & Barn.

PS: That Blackwits a nice 'un too, the first for us this year.

PPS: Can we order a Broad-billed Sand for Castle Lake Open Day.
Cu later.

Typical

The day I planned to go out to Saltholme and then Temminck's hunting I have to do a load of work, it's been a beautiful day and then Saltholme has been Sandpiper heaven!
Ah well. Plenty more birds another time I guess.
Thanks for the photo of the Stint - I hadn't realised but I must have seen one before! I have loads of photos of birds from that far away and they all look like Temminck's Stint's 3:)

Chris

its been there for 12 hrs.....why no pics yet? )

Here is a pretty poor handheld very very distant pic of it taken approx 14.15 it was well beyond the Paddy's Pool Hide pretty much directly west of there and viewable from the path that leads to the 'wildlife watch point' hide

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo of the Stint - I hadn't realised but I must have seen one before! I have loads of photos of birds from that far away and they all look like Temminck's Stint's 3:)

Chris

ha ha Its one of those pictures you just have to take my word on it. A very, very distant record shot.:smoke:

It is definatly the Temminck's Stint as myself and other birders had ID'd it and there where no other waders there apart from the Redshank and Lapwing.
It's a shame you couldn't get down today it showed really well and I spent about 3 hours there watching it.:t:
cheers,
Andrew K:t:

Temminck's Stint

I pointed it out because I think it is important to spell species names correctly and I think like many readers was slightly amused by the irony of your doubt and your misspelling. Pedantic, yes you'll understand when your over forty, it's a middle age thing.

You introduced this, the relevance is lost on me. You might have these, you might not, I'd still correct your misspelling (or should that be mispelling I'm never sure).

What else were you sounding doubtful about?

Any more, why not PM me as this will be getting boring for everyone else. Cheer up at least you only got the spelling wrong, I've shouted Temminck's before and it's turned out to be dodgy.

No carry on. It's not boring at all. Love it.

The Temmincks Stint was still present at Houghton Gate yesterday evening, which contradicts S Howat's report. I'm not saying he wasn't there but I never saw anyone else ! Where were you at, Steve ? (Assuming you read and post on this forum)

Crimdon Dene this morning - on the beach - Little Tern c.12, Dunlin x32, Grey Plover x1, Ringed Plover x7.

In the dunes/bushes - Linnet c.15, Stonechat x2, Common Whitethroat x3, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Sand Martin, Swallow, Kestrel.

Still plenty of Avocets on Saline Lagoon this evening plus the usual Lapwing, Redshank, Shelduck, Oystercatcher, Coot, Moorhen, Little Ringed Plover and Canada Goose. Swallow x7 feeding over hedge by hide.

Swift c.100 feeding very low over Saltholme Pools, Dormans Pool and Rec. Pond.

Photos: 1. Little Tern - 2. Dunlin - 3. Avocet with chicks - 4. Avocet chick - 5. Swift

Attachments

• IMG_1059ao.JPG
    IMG_1059ao.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1077ao.JPG
    IMG_1077ao.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1135ao.JPG
    IMG_1135ao.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1231ao.JPG
    IMG_1231ao.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1258bo.JPG
    IMG_1258bo.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 86
The Temmincks Stint was still present at Houghton Gate yesterday evening, which contradicts S Howat's report. I'm not saying he wasn't there but I never saw anyone else ! Where were you at, Steve ? (Assuming you read and post on this forum)

I think this is getting a little bit out of hand. It doesn't really matter. Sometimes birds are overlooked and the Temmincks is very easily overlooked.

The bird appears to have gone now anyway. I think some people on the thread will agree with me when I say "just leave it there".

Happy Birding.
Andrew K:t:

Will Robinson rides again

Can we ask for photographic proof too ? 3:)

Last edited:
Harehope Quary & Tunstall Res,

Pretty quiet at the quary with chaffinch, goldfinch, blue & great tit, chiffchaff heard, loads willow warblers, lapwing, pair dippers and the regular crows, jackdaws etc plus a glimps of a stoat near the stream.

Not much better at Tunstall Reservoir, 1 redstart seen, no sign of pied flycatcher, more willow warblers, grey heron which seemed to catch more than the fishermen, goldfinch, pied & grey wagtail.

Attachments

• _MG_8125.jpg
    _MG_8125.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 66
  • _MG_8212.jpg
    _MG_8212.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 58
  • _MG_8231.jpg
    _MG_8231.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_8252.jpg
    _MG_8252.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 64
  • _MG_8398.jpg
    _MG_8398.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 63
I think some people on the thread will agree with me when I say "just leave it there".

And so say all of us!! It's doin my head in |8||

Washington WWT this morning;
Singing Lesser Whitethroat, Reed & Sedge Warbler amongst all the regulars.

No passage waders seen but scoped a works experience team, looked a right motley crew ;);)

Congratulations on getting your lifer, its great when you get a new bird isn't it? Even better when you dont have any crossings out in your notebook too.;)

A few garden birds from today:

Attachments

• _MG_8415.jpg
    _MG_8415.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 43
  • _MG_8440.jpg
    _MG_8440.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_8484.jpg
    _MG_8484.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 55
  • _MG_8493.jpg
    _MG_8493.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 54
  • _MG_8495.jpg
    _MG_8495.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 57
My first visit of the year the year to Tunstall Reservoir turned out better than expected after reading some of the recent reports from here.

I arrived at around 9.30am and parked by the end of the dam. The usual Common Sandpiper was along the dam wall along with Redshank, Pied Wagtail. Half a dozen House Martin were feeding over the wall and Goldfinch x3, Meadow Pipit x2 and Grey Wagtail x2 over the grassy bank. Halfway along the wall a Goshawk flew from west to east over the reservoir and over the trees at the top of Backstone Bank Wood where it was calling. Another pair of Grey Wagtail and a Pied Wagtail were feeding in the slipway. A Heron and another Common Sandpiper were in the corner of the dam. As I set off up the hill a Cormorant and half a dozen Greylag Goose landed on the reservoir.

Halfway up the hill a Garden Warbler was calling from the bushes just above my head but giving only fleeting glimpses. A Pied Flycatcher was calling from slightly higher.

On entering the wood there were lots of birds in song. Mostly Robin, Wren, Willow Warbler and a Chiffchaff calling but heading up the farm track to the right the Pied Flycatcher was in view. A Redstart gave fleeting glimpses but wasn't singing.

Heading back down the bank and along the track into the wood there were loads of Willow Warbler, Wren and Robin calling and no end of Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit and Long-tailed Tit.

By the second fenced area a Pied Flycatcher was calling and another 50m further along the path. Searching out both in the tree tops paid off leading to discovery of the nest holes where the females were taking in food. Great Spotted Woodpecker (m & f ) in the area as well as several Treecreeper and Nuthatch all gathering food. Whilst stood waiting 40 mins until the next food delivery a Tawny Owl flew low through the wood down towards the reservoir.

Little else seen until reaching the end of the mature wood where another Redstart was in the tree tops. Lots of Willow Warbler in the young trees with several still gathering nest material.

Retracing my steps there was nothing new until reaching the end of the path again where a Wood Warbler was calling every now and a again about 50m up the bankside - just the first half of it's song. It seemed to be moving back and forth c.100m though I never did spot it as I didn't fancy a scramble up the bank.

Re-crossing the dam Swift c.12 and Swallow had joined the House Martin.

All in all a pretty good visit even if views weren't that good.

Photos: 1. Redshank - 2. House Martin - 3. Pied Flycatcher (fem) - 4. Grey Wagtail - 5. Grey Heron

Attachments

• IMG_1274ao.JPG
    IMG_1274ao.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1280ao.JPG
    IMG_1280ao.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1403ao.JPG
    IMG_1403ao.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1414aoo.JPG
    IMG_1414aoo.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1523ao.JPG
    IMG_1523ao.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 58
Next stop was Bollihope Common.

Ring Ouzel x1, Mistle Thrush x2, Cuckoo x1, Meadow Pipit x3, Pied Wagtail x1, Wheatear x2 were in the quarry on the south side.

Following the road over to Egglestone Common - loads of Red Grouse and Wheatear perched on the heather. Several pairs of Golden Plover with fluffy chicks, likewise with Lapwing. Just a few Curlew, Oystercatcher and Redshank seen. Kestrel was the only bird of prey.

Photos: 1. Cuckoo - 2. Red Grouse - 3. Golden Plover - 4. Golden Plover - 5. Lapwing

Attachments

• IMG_1540co.JPG
    IMG_1540co.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1597ao.JPG
    IMG_1597ao.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1654bo.JPG
    IMG_1654bo.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1675aoo.JPG
    IMG_1675aoo.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1679ao.JPG
    IMG_1679ao.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 48
Seaton Carew this afternoon, the carpark between the Golf Club and the Bus Station. On the beach was a Oysercatcher with an abnormal sized beak.

Attachments

• Seaton Carew 13-05-2009 006a.jpg
    Seaton Carew 13-05-2009 006a.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Seaton Carew 13-05-2009 007a.jpg
    Seaton Carew 13-05-2009 007a.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 76
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back