• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding by Points 2010 (1 Viewer)

devilbirder

formerly known as Bird Points Game. Version 7.

Welcome to the 2010 edition of the game.

For new players, the concept of the game is that for every species you see in 2010 you get a number of points, depending on its overall rarity/ease-of-seeing in Britain (although players from other parts of the world are welcome to play for any one country, using the scores provided here, although they are probably not that good at representing the species in other countries)

For 2010 there are fully and very carefully revised values for each species. The self found bonuses have also been over-hauled.

Here is the new self found key:

25-30= 10
30-40= 25
40-60= 50
60-80= 60
80= 75
90= 100
100= 200

rules at punkbirder.webs.com apply.

These have become more generous whereas, overall, the species values have become a fair bit more harsh.

As with last year, if you wish to play please email me at [email protected] for an Excel spreadsheet (available for Excel 2007 and Excel 97-2003) then post your totals here and I will put them on the scoreboard.

THE GAME STARTS ON THE 1ST OF JANUARY 2010.

Thanks for all your hard work David!

Just one small thing (I noticed this for the 2009 game too), the self-found bonuses are a little misleading because you have put the same value on two different scores. For example, does a 30 point bird score 10 or 25? Just to make it clear, it should really be:

25-30= 10
35-40= 25
45-60= 50
65-75= 60
80= 75
90= 100
100= 200

If you see what I mean!

Last edited:
Hi David,

You must take a lot of pride in this game! Just been looking at the 2009 version and I can see the huge amount of effort you have put into it. It certainly comes off well! Is it ok if I email you closer to the time for that spreadsheet so I can take part?

Thank you,

Joseph

Hi.

Sean I see your point, every body go by Sean's version now!

Hi Joseph, yes it's one of the most successful things I've done lol ;-).
Feel free email me about it whenever you wish, my friend, it would be great if you could take part too.

atb

David.

Last edited:
All done. Email me if you want the spreadsheet. Available in Excel 2007 and Excel 97-2003 (or possibly other formats, let me know . . . )

That's an idea Pete. Little late for it now but maybe for 2011 :).

My email is [email protected].

Hi Sean, give some examples. Is it worse than last year's or what? I thought I made them more considered this time, maybe something went wrong somewhere during conversion.???

Oh. Just noticed a bit of a problem and I think I know what you mean... doh. e.g. when putting the score in for Bewick's as 20, it won't let you do it and says to put 25 in . . .

Sorry my fault I thought I cleared all of the data validation, will try to sort the problem out now.

That's good, Sean. Did the file open as a read-only at first, if so how did you deal with it (save it under a different name?), because one or two people have had this problem. Cheers.

OK, I'm ready to reveal my total so far...

1220, highlights including ferruginous duck, bittern, red grouse, lesser spotted woodpecker, bewick's swan, whooper swan, water rail, crossbill, smew, green sandpiper and peregrine. Only one self-find bonus so far, for red grouse.

HI
finnally done the list
have a total of 1220
highlights so far: bewicks swan ,w f goose, bittern, willow tit, marsh tit and goshawk
MB
quiet start so far

Right, well I'll start a scoreboard to encourage more people...

1 SEAN F 1645
2 THE DEVIL BIRD 1505
=3 PETE MELLA 1220
=3 MIDLANDS BIRDER 1220

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back