• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meerkat Drawing (1 Viewer)

meerkat-drawing-murray-ralfe.jpg

A recent drawing of a Meerkat at Addo Elephant National Park, South Africa - not a bird, but they watch out constantly for birds of prey flying over.

They are quite easy to see in maincamp,as the vegetation has open areas of short grass and shrubs which they like as they can see predators coming a long way off. Yellow Mongoose are often hanging out with them, using the meerkats extra observation skills to get alarms to rush for cover.

Map of the area they are easily seen in at Addo.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bp5mwx9hLlm9DdzcKoPeYeYPafY&usp=sharing

http://murrayralfe.com/meerkat/

Last edited:
Beautiful Drawing and well captured on paper I think meerkats are exceptional creatures for their ability to move and observe their surroundings around them I,m sure the yellow mongoose has the best friend for this.

Beautiful Drawing and well captured on paper I think meerkats are exceptional creatures for their ability to move and observe their surroundings around them I,m sure the yellow mongoose has the best friend for this.
Thanks, I think Addo is also the best place I know of to get the best views of Yellow Mongoose in South Africa, everywhere else you get only a fleeting glimpse before they dive into the bush.
Here they seem habituated to vehicles, a great place to sketch and photograph them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back