• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First attempt at Drawing and Painting Birds (1 Viewer)

There is some lovely work here, well done. You obviously have a good eye and I would echo Tim's sentiments, you should get out for a day armed with sketchbook and pencil and see where the day leads you, I think you would enjoy the experience hugely. The results are guaranteed to be of great aid to your artwork and understanding of birds in general...

Nothing wrong at all with copying pictures, but for that personal feel, IMO, nothing beats a page full of scribbles for creating memories of a good day's birding and as a starting point for more finished paintings. The spoonbill is a cracker, I've only ever seen one, which I did sketch, but I may aswell have been sketching a carrier bag as it was asleep miles away in a marsh.

There is some lovely work here, well done. You obviously have a good eye and I would echo Tim's sentiments, you should get out for a day armed with sketchbook and pencil and see where the day leads you, I think you would enjoy the experience hugely. The results are guaranteed to be of great aid to your artwork and understanding of birds in general...

Nothing wrong at all with copying pictures, but for that personal feel, IMO, nothing beats a page full of scribbles for creating memories of a good day's birding and as a starting point for more finished paintings. The spoonbill is a cracker, I've only ever seen one, which I did sketch, but I may aswell have been sketching a carrier bag as it was asleep miles away in a marsh.

Buzzard/Nick

So true what you have said here, I should have what you have mentioned in my lasting posting here. Outdoors is an good sketching experience too.

I agree, also that a trip outside helps build up a picture of your subject too.

Looking at your subject, with the continually changing light and colours gives you a good idea how to use colour and texture with your drawings too. All that fresh air will stimulate your mind too.

Lots of ideas on this thread. Zac, you will succeed, as you are talking and posting positive thoughts here, as this thread goes forward. :t:

Just another Sketch I didthis evening of today inc. - Great White Egret (into the light - as I saw it today unfortunatly) 2 of the 3 Spoonbill and a small group of Black tailed Godwit and Resdhank

Attachments

• Spoonbill, etc033.jpg
    Spoonbill, etc033.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 247
I like to think I know birds well, as I spend hours and hours looking at Books and photo's and ID tips to help with my real passion - Birdwatching.

Doesn't always go hand in hand (as I've discovered!) so artistic talent is also needed which you seem to have in lorry loads!!

Just checked out the photo of the Spoonbill on your blog - again very impressive and accurate line drawing (even for a copy!)

Look forward to seeing some field work :t:

you appear to have built up a fan base quite quickly;)

thats some good shading on the egret, my drawings arent gonna look so good now...:-C

Nice work Zac - just have a go at real life in your own time.
Hey Steve - you'll not know how 'good' you are, til you've made a few drawings. Time to start is now.
Good luck.

Great start Zac, especially like the spoonbill. Keep posting, as you can see you get nowt but encouragement on here, heed the tips and rapid development is assured, look forward to seeing it happen.

Thanks again all
I am in the middle of a Great Spott Woodpecker at the moment, I made a sketch from a picture in a book, but to get a feel for something different I changed the angle of the bird and am having a go at that, I am currently really pleased and am loking forward to seeing the final product - I will share when done!

Hi Everyone
heres the Great Spott that I sketched, finished it this morning aften finishing off some coursework before its back to school :(

I have spent a lot of the day just watching the garden as there are two coal tit that are returning to the garden for the winter (it gets quiet in the Summer) so I have been studying their behavior so that I can attempt to draw them this afternoon.
Will post when done!

Attachments

• GSW020.jpg
    GSW020.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 139
Here are three Garden sketches
I quite like the Coal tit, and the head of the Feral Pigeon seems to be alrite!

thanks

Zac

Attachments

• fieldsketches001.jpg
    fieldsketches001.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 141
The woodpecker's attitude is spot on, as somebody who loves woodpeckers but just misses the mark when painting them, I can tell you you should be very pleased with this one. Even better!! We've got some field sketches, their value in understanding birds and how to draw them is unparalleled, even if half the time you feel like you're spending a lot of time doing empty squiggles. The coal tit is a great start indeed, now make sure you keep looking and keep sketching them - by doing this, you'll see just how different their shape is to other tits. Great stuff, keep it up!

Heres another one. It is a cross between a field sketch and a book. I got the general shape and head pattern from the field, but the underwing was tricky so I chose to look that up in a book. I tried to make the wing of the flying bird look as though it is moving.

I am looking forward to turning this into something good!

Zac

Attachments

• fieldsketches - GFFNF002.jpg
    fieldsketches - GFFNF002.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 144
Hi Everyone
heres the Great Spott that I sketched, finished it this morning aften finishing off some coursework before its back to school :(

I have spent a lot of the day just watching the garden as there are two coal tit that are returning to the garden for the winter (it gets quiet in the Summer) so I have been studying their behavior so that I can attempt to draw them this afternoon.
Will post when done!

Here are three Garden sketches
I quite like the Coal tit, and the head of the Feral Pigeon seems to be alrite!

thanks

Zac

Hi Zac

Lovely work again. You have the markings and the style just right. Love the details on the Woodpeckers rump, all the white spots and dots. The expression on the birds face is very Woody like.

As for the garden birds, the Coal and the Blue Tit you have right look and feel again, as they love to look as cheeky as possible. ;)

One thing I could suggest to you from experience. Would it worth you buying a feeder (with suckers) which you can stick on the outside of your bedroom/spare window. Then you can see the birds really close up. Tits love feeding of feeders that are high up. You will find that all the garden birds will appear as they get used to your presence, Chaffies Greenies, Blue,Great and Coal tits. Blackies will pop on the window sill too.

It does take time for them to get used to you, (on the other side), but once they have you will be able to get really close to them (as long as you approach the window slowly)

You can get to the point of seeing how different the bird look, their feathers, colours and details which you never see when they are further away.

The slight draw back is you need to consider seeds that so not leave a mess on the sill as it does gather up after a while. It is keeping the window clean and clear that keeps you on your toes.

It depends how members of the house deal with this, and if it is a worry to them. Anyway you can give it your best shot. :t:

thanks Nick
the Goldfinch's were a real suprise! There were about 5 in the Garden along with 2 Greenfinch, and Goldies were constantly aggressivly twittering to each other so I sat next to my window with my scope, and saw that happening. it was only brief but the expressions and body language of the birds were to much to fight away my reluctance to draw flying birds! And I was quite pleased with the outcome!

Zac

thanks Nick
the Goldfinch's were a real suprise! There were about 5 in the Garden along with 2 Greenfinch, and Goldies were constantly aggressivly twittering to each other so I sat next to my window with my scope, and saw that happening. it was only brief but the expressions and body language of the birds were to much to fight away my reluctance to draw flying birds! And I was quite pleased with the outcome!

Zac

The Goldies are beautiful, really colourful, birds too

To draw flying birds is difficult so you have it in the making here.
Well done :t:

The Goldies are beautiful, really colourful, birds too

To draw flying birds is difficult so you have it in the making here.
Well done :t:

Great to see the field work coming in. Like the woodpecker, particularily like the Coal Tit, really nice sketch that, well done. Golfinches are well drawn and show you have a good eye. Keep it up, perhaps try getting further afield at the weekend and see what you can find...

Thats the Trouble of being 15, you need to rely in Parents for lifts to places, although I do cycle to the quarry every now and again, Ill have a go tomorrow.

thanks for the comments

Zac

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back