• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lancs Eagle Owls (1 Viewer)

Yes they are.

Park in Dunsop Bridge - there's a village car park, and another car park behind the Post Office. The track is the metalled road (you can't drive on it though) beside the Post Office. Look out for the Spotted Flycatchers nesting on the back of the Post Office, and Dippers on the Dunsop River here.

Follow the track for a total of 2.5 miles. The telegraph poles are numbered: the birds are between 67 and 68. Before you get there, however, as well as seeing Grey Wags in the river, Ring Ouzel on the moors and possible Goshawks overhead you eventually come to some artificial weirs and a bridge. When you cross the bridge you'll see that two of the footpath routes have been blocked "For Public Safety" - i.e. to stop the owls from eating your children. You therefore have to take the track that goes up the left hand side side of the right hand river, if you see what I mean. It does go up. And up, and up. And just when your legs have turned to marshmallows it goes gently down a little, through a gate and the owls are visible across the valley below eye level between posts 67 and 68.

If you're young and / or healthy it's a gentle stroll. If you're a forty a day ten pints a night person in your fifth decade or beyond you might need a breather.

All of these reports and photos of the beautiful owls are making me twitchy :hi:

I've suggested to the missus a trip across the country

I'm planning on dropping her off at the Trafford Centre, then belting up to Dunsop Bridge before putting in some leg work to reach the viewing point - finally returning to the commercial nightmare of the Trafford Centre to see how much hammer she has given our bank account.

Just wondering whether it is pointless going in the morning - would be a lot better if we could, but not going to waste my time if they can't be seen until late afternoon.

Mal Skelton

I don't think it will make much difference when you go Mal. The birds are sticking quite close to the nest site and are visible on the ground. I saw them on Sunday afternoon and only saw a short flight from 1 adult. One of the people I spoke to on the way up saw prey being carried in the morning.

I don't think it will make much difference when you go Mal. The birds are sticking quite close to the nest site and are visible on the ground. I saw them on Sunday afternoon and only saw a short flight from 1 adult. One of the people I spoke to on the way up saw prey being carried in the morning.

Fantastic thank you

Most of my birdwatching is done either early morning or late evening - but since this is the opposite side of the country, I was hoping an early start would get me there mid morning

I must admit I would love to see them fly - but a sitting Eagle Owl is still an Eagle Owl !!

I'm slowly working my way through the Owls - seen Barn, Little, Short Eared & just this last weekend Tawny. Of those the Little and Tawny didn't move, so I won't be devastated if the Eagle Owl doesn't feel like giving a display ......... maybe I should take the in-laws dog with me :h?:

Thanks for your help

Mal Skelton

Perhaps not Mal.... :)

That's what I meant - at least it might guarantee some Eagle Owl activity.

It's a small sacrifice to see such a magnificent bird .......... only kidding, my life wouldn't be worth living if even the slightest hair on the dog's back was touched

Mal Skelton

Got to admit I don't see the attraction of these birds. It's a great place to go, and lots of other things to see, but these Eagle Owls seem so "plastic" to me. Not when they attack you I suppose.

What I do find interesting is the way in which we all pick and choose which birds we think are worth travelling for. If a species of duck with such dodgy credentials as these owls started breeding somewhere, how many people would go to see?

Yet having said all that, I quite happily tick various dodgy geese in the local wild flocks without hesitation.

Good job we're all different.

Glad you're all enjoying them,

Got to admit I don't see the attraction of these birds. It's a great place to go, and lots of other things to see, but these Eagle Owls seem so "plastic" to me. Not when they attack you I suppose.

What I do find interesting is the way in which we all pick and choose which birds we think are worth travelling for. If a species of duck with such dodgy credentials as these owls started breeding somewhere, how many people would go to see?

Yet having said all that, I quite happily tick various dodgy geese in the local wild flocks without hesitation.

Good job we're all different.

Glad you're all enjoying them,

Nice avatar by the way - shame about Athens, but we can't be too greedy !!

Last year when I was laid up with a second serious knee injury I started putting together in my head a list of everything I've ever wanted to do - but never got round to doing ........ a wishlist to start work on when I was able to get around again.

One of them was to see British Owls

Up until last year I had only seen local Barn Owls and they were mesmerising - so I vowed to see different owls. I saw a Short Eared Owl up in the moors of Co. Durham while looking for Black Grouse - I saw a Little Owl while at Malham Cove looking at the Peregrines - and last weekend saw a Tawny Owl while visiting parents in Co. Durham.

So that's the 4 most common done

I'm not sure what else is on the official British List - but I reckon I've got LEO and Snowy left as breeders perhaps.

But since these Eagle Owls have now obviously bred in the wild - I have to add them and hopefully try and see them.

It will take me one stage closer to fulfilling my dreams - it isn't just a tick to me

Mal Skelton

Not even a tick for me Mal.

If I was interested in ticks I would have been an acarologist. ;)

Talking of ticks ..... reminds me of a family holiday to Scotland that involved walking in long grass, then spending the rest of the removing parasites !!

What I was trying to convey is that I enjoy watching birds - whether they be pigeons in the park or exotic species from the other side of the world.

In particular I like birds of prey - and set myself the challenge of seeing different Owls in the wild. I have been to bird of prey centres and seen most Owl species close up - but in the wild is the key.

Finding an Eagle Owl and Snowy Owl in the wild were always going to be the blockers - so for a watchpoint to be set up looking at the Eagle Owls, I have to go irrespective of the validity of its "wildness"

I agree the parents are probably escapees ....... but the 3 chicks certainly aren't !!

Mal Skelton

A strange irony for me was that after seeing my first eagle owl in the wild I then saw my first in captivity on the way home. I know which gave me most pleasure.

We camped in Bowland over the weekend and on the way back on Monday decided to detour through the dales to see "our" :)-) peregrines. On aproaching Austwick the road ahead was closed for a village fete so we parked up for a look around. On squeezing between two stalls I was momentarily stunned to see an eagle owl within touching distance in front of me! It was part of a display by Corio Raptor & Rehabilitation Centre.

I know where you're coming from. I'll happily add Red Kites, Ospreys, Cranes and even Goshawks but Eagle Owl just doesn't seem right. The weird thing is if I spotted one in mainland Europe I wouldn't think twice. Hopefully I'll be up there tomorrow. The last time I saw an Eagle Owl it was sat in the back of an estate car in Delamere Forest.

Went up to Dunsop Bridge to see the owls today, wow! great views of the chicks and one of the adults showing well also. I have put some pics in the gallery of the best shots I took.

Nothing "plastic" about these birds, tho i do understand people not being interested if a tick and BOU rules are your primary consideration (and thats not a criticism by the way).

But these birds ar acting as wild and living as wild. Look no different to the ones seen in mainland europe according to a few other birders present.

Finally got up there on Saturday to see what all the fuss is about.

Magnificent scenery, Hen Harriers riding along the ridges, Dippers and wagtails on the river, Buzzard and Kestrels overhead, breeding Curlews and Oystercatchers in the fields, Spotted Flycatchers in and out of the forest, Swallows perched up on telegraph wires, Pipits and Larks all over the place and a young family of Eagle Owls.

Nevermind their dubious origin, the steady stream of twitchers, birdwatchers and curious members of the public prepared to walk the best part of 6 miles to see these birds is incredible. Its about time the RSPB stood up and noticed what's going on instead of burying their head in the sand. No matter what their official position is this is an unbelievable opportunity to introduce the masses to upland bird watching and the wider conservation issues.

Thankfully the Lancashire Countryside Service, United Utilities and the tenants of Whitendale Farm are far more sensible.

Thank you Sig for your excellent directions. I went up on Saturday and had a marvellous day. As well as seeing the fantastic Eagle Owls (which are incredible birds in their own right whether they are native or otherwise) I also saw Goshawks, Hen Harriers, Roe Deer, Dippers together with a whole host of other supporting birdlife and a friendly bunch of people out all enjoying themselves.

Come on you cynics and sneeerers get out and see them you are missing out on so much.

Nothing "plastic" about these birds, tho i do understand people not being interested if a tick and BOU rules are your primary consideration (and thats not a criticism by the way).

But these birds ar acting as wild and living as wild. Look no different to the ones seen in mainland europe according to a few other birders present.

When I said plastic, I wasn't meaning from a "tick" point of view. I have no interest in ticking birds, I'm not a twitcher, I don't even keep lists.

I can understand that Eagle Owls are magnificent birds. I have seen them in Europe, in Greece. Even in falconary displays Eagle Owls are magnificent birds, but I wouldn't travel very far to see one. I can't explain very well what I mean, but the EO's at Dunsop bridge don't seem that far removed from a falconary display.

Thank you Sig for your excellent directions. I went up on Saturday and had a marvellous day. As well as seeing the fantastic Eagle Owls (which are incredible birds in their own right whether they are native or otherwise) I also saw Goshawks, Hen Harriers, Roe Deer, Dippers together with a whole host of other supporting birdlife and a friendly bunch of people out all enjoying themselves.

Come on you cynics and sneeerers get out and see them you are missing out on so much.

I've managed to wangle a "day pass" for next Sunday and, weather permitting, hope to head up to Dunsop Bridge. This report, along with others in similar vein, has really whetted my appetite. Can't wait!

DS

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back