• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It Stays Soft !!! (1 Viewer)

mercury

The Winged Messenger.
I make my own fat cakes for the birds that come to my garden. Because I load them with good quality ingredients they don't last long. I've recently started to use lard ( on the recommendation of an elderly lady neighbour ) instead of the more expensive suet as a setting agent. Surprisingly this seems to have made them even more popular. Four woodpeckers demolished one in three hours. Unfortunately, the down side of this change is that the cakes are now so soft that I'm having problems handling them. Can anyone help me with this soft fat problem ????? Or is the old lady a witch. She assures me she doesn't have a problem.

Do you mean you have trouble handling the cakes once they are made and set?

If so, once they are set, you could try popping them in the freezer for an hour or so to firm up and then they will be easier to handle? They will defrost once they are outside so there shouldn't be any problems for the birds.

Yes, putting it in the fridge should harden it, making it easier to handle. Also, if you have troubles of it actually going too soft and melting once outside, what you need to do is melt the lard, wait for it to set and then melt it again before adding any other ingredients.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back