• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro Four-Thirds (2 Viewers)

Got the E-M1 back today. Fixed. Explination:
Fault: Display
Reason: EVF-Electronic Viewfinder
Action: Replaced

Very informative, eh?

At least it is fixed, but I would have liked some more explination. Will it last? Will it happen again? Can it be prevented?

Got the E-M1 back today. Fixed. Explination:
Fault: Display
Reason: EVF-Electronic Viewfinder
Action: Replaced

Very informative, eh?

At least it is fixed, but I would have liked some more explination. Will it last? Will it happen again? Can it be prevented?
That reminds me of the laconic reports I received when my EM5 was repaired...

That's not good.

For what it's worth, I have been using the E-M5 over the course of at least 200 sessions with scope and perhaps 20-30 sessions with 12-50 lens without any such issues. Many of these sessions were in bright sunlight. Quite often I forget to turn off the camera, and usually I have the camera turned on on purpose while waiting. I have the viewfinder dioptre setting at maximum (+) or one step below max.

Humm... I had read about problems with the EVF but didn't know they were due to diopter adjustment. :C:C:C This is really bad news because this adjustment is set at or near maximum on my EM-1. This way, I can use it without glasses.

I'm quite surprised because this camera just spent 8 hours/day for 10 days under Florida sun... Also, I often walk with the camera/scope/tripod ass'y on my shoulder: the camera is then pointing upwards, sometimes directly to the sun.

I guess I'll write to Olympus to find out what they intend to do before my warranty expires.

So far they have been keeping very quiet about it. It may be something easy to fix, but then it might not be. I have expressed my displeasure to them, and there seem to be quite a few others also experiencing this problem. Lets hope it is just a bad batch of EVFs. As is, though, I don't dare take it out in the sun any more!
What is your normal diopter setting, Jules?
I really don't want to have to start wearing glasses to shoot with this camera. Not comfortable.

So far they have been keeping very quiet about it. It may be something easy to fix, but then it might not be. I have expressed my displeasure to them, and there seem to be quite a few others also experiencing this problem. Lets hope it is just a bad batch of EVFs. As is, though, I don't dare take it out in the sun any more!
What is your normal diopter setting, Jules?
I really don't want to have to start wearing glasses to shoot with this camera. Not comfortable.

Hi Dan,

I'm not sure of the exact value for the diopter setting. It is around +2 so I am limit. I know it varies according to my state of tiredness and it affects accuracy of focus at times.

Wearing glass does not fix the problem because I have variable focus lenses and the diopter value varies according to where I position the camera on the glass...

The best compromise seems to use the camera without glasses with the EVF. Looking at the LCD, I can pretty well see if lighting and composition are ok. I can even change some values in the menu when I know where I am going. Otherwise, I have to wear glasses.

Well... It's what happens when you're getting old... At least, I still remember how to use the camera 8-P

Got my E-M1 back again with the usual cusive remark, "Fault: Display
Reason: TFT
Action: Replaced"
plus this little snippet of paper stuck inside the plastic bag the body was wrapped up in:
14354890309_fe287f7739_b.jpg

Very helpful....:C:-C

I just got word from a guy who is pretty much the Olympus guru in Germany. He writes the German language Oly handbooks. He tried to duplicate my test and failed! He tried all different diopter settings from full + to full - and held the camera in the sun for up to ten seconds each time. No spots! He spoke to Olympus, Germany, where he naturally has good contacts, and they said there have been a number of cases of EVF burn, and that they have reported it to Japan, and they are looking into it, (what ever that means) but that it is by no means wide spread.
So maybe there is still hope!!
As for me, I am still scared to take mine outside!

For what it's worth: consumer law in Sweden says that if one and same fault, repaired by qualified workshop, occurs three times on one and same instance of a product, same consumer should be offered a settlement (probably he/she has to actively claim that settlement) meaning a replacement of the product with a new one.

Maybe you should check what the law looks like in Austria. Many consumer related laws have been harmonized across EU so there is a chance you may claim a replacement camera if the EVF burns by sun a third time.

I just got word from a guy who is pretty much the Olympus guru in Germany. He writes the German language Oly handbooks. He tried to duplicate my test and failed! He tried all different diopter settings from full + to full - and held the camera in the sun for up to ten seconds each time. No spots! He spoke to Olympus, Germany, where he naturally has good contacts, and they said there have been a number of cases of EVF burn, and that they have reported it to Japan, and they are looking into it, (what ever that means) but that it is by no means wide spread.
So maybe there is still hope!!

Dan,

This problem is certainly an exception since we don't read much about it. It may be due to a bad part, incorrect assembly or a combinaison of factors.
As I wrote before, if all cameras were affected, it would have happened to me in Florida walking under the sun with the camera/scope/tripod on my shoulder, diopter adjustment almost to maximum.

I'm sorry for the problems you have been experiencing with your EM-1. Let's hope they have corrected all the problems by now and that you will be able to use it without any difficulties. So far I don't have any complaints about mine except the short battery life but I already knew about that when I purchased it - 3rd party batteries are cheap and work as well as the originals.

Regards
Jules

Yes, lets hope it is just a question of a bad batch of EVF displays. A little specific information from Olympus would be helpful. Fat chance!

Went outside in the sun a few minutes ago for the first time since it has come back. 10 minutes of walking around and shooting normally with the camera. First spot already there, right in the middfle of the display! Happened between two shots. The sun was over my shoulder, and I looked up for a second to see something. I had the Canon 400 on, so I held it facing downwards, I guess. That's all it took.
:-C

I am getting pretty fed up, for sure! They must have a bad bach of displays. But if they go to the trouble to replace one, why don't they test it to see what happens if the camera gets into the sun for a second or two?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back