• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D battery problem (4 Viewers)

Neil-T

Moorlands Macro: Close up and personal....with bug
Hi all, I have got a canon 7D and had no problems until now. This morning I put my genuine canon battery in the camera and the camera says that it does not recognise the battery. Anyone else had this problem and know a fix for it. Any help much appreciated. Neil.

Last edited:
I had a battery problem with mine a couple of months ago - though it showed Err 40 even when the camera was switched off. I had to leave the battery out until it was repaired.

A quick google search shows battery problems are becoming a lot more prevalent than when I had problems. Mine was barely 6 months old and occurred two days before we went away on holiday when I could have really used the extra features of the 7D.

Standard advice it to clean all contacts both the narrow slits on the battery itself and inside the battery compartment. It cured mine for a couple of days but in the end had to go back to Canon for a replacement part.

It only took a week to repair and be returned.

Just a quick update. I have cleaned all the contacts on the battery and inside the battery compartment and it's still showig "cannot communicate with battery".
I have lost the ability to adjust the exposure compensation on the large wheel on the back of the camera, and the camera will not take pictures in Live view. Any advice guys?

PS: I bought the camera from Ian Kerr (Kerso) off here and was told that it came with an international warranty. Do I send it to canon or back to Ian.

EDIT: Just reset the camera to default setting and the exposure compensation is ok and also the live view is working again. So it's just the battery problem. Could it be that the chip has gone in the battery?

Does anyone have the address for canon UK please.

Thanks in advance. Neil.

Last edited:
You bought the camera off Ian Kerr so your contract is with the retailer and he is the first port of call for any warrantee problems. It will very interesting to see how this issue is dealt with by both Kerso and Canon UK

Canon (UK) Ltd
Woodhatch
Reigate
Surrey
RH2 8BF

Tel:
Fax:
+44 (0)1737 220000
+44 (0)1737 220022
www.canon.co.uk

Reset the camera to default. All problems now ok apart from the camera not recognising the battery. Neil.

Personally when I read that the 7D battery was now "intelligent" I felt that it was a step too far and really rather unnecessary. I've lived without additional battery information for about 15 years now, and have never had a battery problem, nor felt I needed to know anything beyond roughly how much was left. Just another thing to go wrong. Bad luck Neil, it probably doesn't happen too often.

It is unfortunate and I get a similar (albeit it ar5e about face) problem. When using non-OEM batteries my camera will not communicate with them and you get a empty battery symbol all the time (so you only have your experience to go on as to how many elephants are left in the battery).
Whack the OEM battery in and all is perfect.
I believe the latest firmware upgrade will address this - just got to muster up the courage to upgrade now...

It is unfortunate and I get a similar (albeit it ar5e about face) problem. When using non-OEM batteries my camera will not communicate with them and you get a empty battery symbol all the time (so you only have your experience to go on as to how many elephants are left in the battery).
Whack the OEM battery in and all is perfect.
I believe the latest firmware upgrade will address this - just got to muster up the courage to upgrade now...

Just did the latest firmware upgrade and the camera still will not recognise the original canon battery. :C

Now running version 1.2.2. Looks like a duff battery or some problem with the camera. I am still using the camera and all is ok with it, it's just nice to know how much power is left in the battery. Neil.

I bought the battery grip with mine and then an extra canon battery, I have not had any battery problems, are these problem associated with non Canon battery's ?

With two battery's in the grip they last for ever, I also have backup rechargeable battery's that I use with the flash...

Terry,
Wasn't it mentioned on here a while ago that using non-genuine batteries messed up something in the camera and when it was returned to Canon they could tell from the software a non genuine battery had been used ?
The guarantee was then declared null and void.
Or maybe another forum.
C

I bought the battery grip with mine and then an extra canon battery, I have not had any battery problems, are these problem associated with non Canon battery's ?

With two battery's in the grip they last for ever, I also have backup rechargeable battery's that I use with the flash...

Hi Terry, the camera will not recognise the genuine canon battery. I know all about the camera not recognising non canon batteries because they are not chipped. I am in the procwss of asking a friend to loan me his battery from a 7D to try in my camera so we can determine if the problem lies with the battery or the camera. I have put the latest firmware on the camera to see if that would sort the problem, which someone said it would, but alas, the problem remains the same. Neil.

Frank, it came from another Forum after all.Make of it what you will.

"I've used Sterlingtek batteries for my 40D, 50D for several years without difficulties. I think the OEM battery lasts a bit longer , but.....

One consideration, not usually discussed, is that if a Canon battery melts down in your camera, your warranty will apply. If a non-OEM battery melts down in your camera, your warranty is considered void.

Something to think about if your warranty is still active perhaps."

C

Quick update, my friend came over and we tried his Canon battery in m y 7D (thanks Gray38) and the problem persists. So it looks like the problem is with the camera. The latest update didn't help any and I have not noticed anything different since updating otherwise. Ian (Kerso is on holiday at the moment until the 20th August, so I will have to wait for his response.

I have been advised to send the camera back to Canon UK. Because I bought it from Ian (Kerso) the warranty card is for USA and Canada, obviously I will have to include the warranty card and a copy of the original receipt. Would it be best to phone Canon first, or just send the camera stating the problem. Thanks. Neil.

I have been advised to send the camera back to Canon UK. Because I bought it from Ian (Kerso) the warranty card is for USA and Canada, obviously I will have to include the warranty card and a copy of the original receipt. Would it be best to phone Canon first, or just send the camera stating the problem. Thanks. Neil.

To be honest that's what I'd have done in the first place - phoned Canon and then just let Kerso know as there's not much the seller could do anyway. I usually phone Canon and explain the problem - they'll run through some advice which has already been given here - mostly cleaning all the contacts and trying an alternate battery. They'll give you a job number and advise which is the closest repair centre to send it to - not that it makes much difference if you're posting it. I've used three different ones now and Canon themselves were by far the speediest. You'll need to send the battery along with it as well.

As regards being an International/USA warranty I'm not sure what they'll say.

Spoke to a nice chap this morning and explained the problem. He told me to send just the camera and battery to them at the address given in a post above. Posted this morning so we will see what happens. Just like to say thanks to all who contributed to this thread, I will let you know the outcome. Neil.

I have been advised to send the camera back to Canon UK. Because I bought it from Ian (Kerso) the warranty card is for USA and Canada,
This should not be a problem as Ian supplies UK receipts - I have heard of a few people who have bought Cameras from him and had them repaired by Canon UK with no problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back