• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jaraicejo Extremadura (3 Viewers)

john-henry

I'm planning a trip to Extremadura in May can anyone give me directions to the fairly well known (but not by me) Jaraicejo track north of Trujillo.

Many thanks for any info.

I'm not exactly sure where you mean. The Crossbill Guide to Extremadura (2nd edition) describes some routes around Jaraicejo, but doesn't call anywhere 'the Jaraicejo track'. I can't find anything at all on the site in Muddeman's excellent book on the area,

Hi there,
If you take junction 227 from the A-5 and drive towards Jaraicejo when you reach the town(I think its a T junction) turn right up the hill.The road winds upwards for about half a mile and then straightens and levels out .After about quarter of a mile there is a very obvious turning at right angles to the 'main' road onto a wide dirt track.Park here and walk into the scrubby area.This is excellent for Spectacled,Dartford and Sardinian Warbler,Thekla Lark,Orphean and Bonelli's warblers et al.
Hope this helps,
Mark

Hi there,
If you take junction 227 from the A-5 and drive towards Jaraicejo when you reach the town(I think its a T junction) turn right up the hill.The road winds upwards for about half a mile and then straightens and levels out .After about quarter of a mile there is a very obvious turning at right angles to the 'main' road onto a wide dirt track.Park here and walk into the scrubby area.This is excellent for Spectacled,Dartford and Sardinian Warbler,Thekla Lark,Orphean and Bonelli's warblers et al.
Hope this helps,
Mark

That was the one I was looking for Mark.

Many thanks.

John

I'm planning a trip to Extremadura in May can anyone give me directions to the fairly well known (but not by me) Jaraicejo track north of Trujillo.

Many thanks for any info.

Definitely a place to visit having visited there myself last year. Using directions in post 3, go down the wide dirt track and there is a smaller footpath about 200 yards down on the left, at this junction there was southern grey shrike and thekla lark. In the next 100 yards saw a spectacled warbler and at least 5 dartford warbler. A patch of trees/scrub ahead we saw orphean warbler.

Gi

Definitely a place to visit having visited there myself last year. Using directions in post 3, go down the wide dirt track and there is a smaller footpath about 200 yards down on the left, at this junction there was southern grey shrike and thekla lark. In the next 100 yards saw a spectacled warbler and at least 5 dartford warbler. A patch of trees/scrub ahead we saw orphean warbler.

Gi

Many thanks for the extra info Gi.

I've just had a look on Google Earth following the description and the track seems easy to locate - I tried to copy the map, but it proved too large to post here. If I'm not mistaken you turn right onto the Ctra de Jaraicejo which after 1.5 km straightens out and then after 900m the track is on the right. A quick look on Street View is helpful too to get a feel of the area. What's interesting is that if you explore the area around the village carefully via Google Earth & Street View you'll quickly discover a number of ungated track disappearing into good habitats. There are more along this road (one along a reservoir may be especially productive). There are several on the far side of the village along the Ctra de Torrejon too. Wikiloc also has some senderos that may be worth walking. In this way I've found several good sights on my 'patch' in the SW. So my advice to you, John Henry, is to visit the 'Jaraicejo track', but not to neglect checking out a few alternatives online via 'google earth' before you go so that you can add something to the canon too!

Last edited:
Accurately described in post 3, but please keep to the tracks and do not venture into the scrub and lavender as there are many ground nesting birds here, and it is also a good spot for venemous snakes. The cork oak in the valley is good for Orioles, Short-toed Treecreeper, Crested Tit, Lesser spotted Woodpecker etc.

Accurately described in post 3, but please keep to the tracks and do not venture into the scrub and lavender as there are many ground nesting birds here, and it is also a good spot for venemous snakes. The cork oak in the valley is good for Orioles, Short-toed Treecreeper, Crested Tit, Lesser spotted Woodpecker etc.

Thanks Stephen, I normally stay on any tracks during the breeding season.

The valley sounds interesting, can you give me some directions for it please.

I've just had a look on Google Earth following the description and the track seems easy to locate - I tried to copy the map, but it proved too large to post here. If I'm not mistaken you turn right onto the Ctra de Jaraicejo which after 1.5 km straightens out and then after 900m the track is on the right. A quick look on Street View is helpful too to get a feel of the area. What's interesting is that if you explore the area around the village carefully via Google Earth & Street View you'll quickly discover a number of ungated track disappearing into good habitats. There are more along this road (one along a reservoir may be especially productive). There are several on the far side of the village along the Ctra de Torrejon too. Wikiloc also has some senderos that may be worth walking. In this way I've found several good sights on my 'patch' in the SW. So my advice to you, John Henry, is to visit the 'Jaraicejo track', but not to neglect checking out a few alternatives online via 'google earth' before you go so that you can add something to the canon too!

Good advice there John, I'll spend some time on Google Earth checking the area.

Thanks

John

I'm not exactly sure where you mean. The Crossbill Guide to Extremadura (2nd edition) describes some routes around Jaraicejo, but doesn't call anywhere 'the Jaraicejo track'. I can't find anything at all on the site in Muddeman's excellent book on the area,

John, I've had another look through Muddeman's book, there is reference to the track although not explicitly, see area No. 7 the Puerto de la Miravete, it's at K223.6.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back