• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flash Bird Paintings for All (1 Viewer)

I need to do this more often. Paint a bird, then have it appear in your backyard the next morning. Today we had three White-throated Sparrows in backyard. They're in area but almost never in our backyard. I'd bet it's been at least a year or two.

So maybe I should try a Golden Eagle this afternoon................

Seemed like a good time, I guess because of winter doldrums, to resurrect this thread, way down on page 4.

I have to admit though it maybe should go on my own thread instead. I had the great idea of doing a 15 minute flash painting of two cattle egret I saw this fall. But I complicated matters by deciding to leave them mainly untouched paper and just creating their form by painting around them. One thing led to another and soon my allotted 15 minutes had turned into 30.

Still it served its purpose I think in being a first run at tackling this subject. I did get a bit sloppy though and accidentally lopped off the drooping chin of bird on left.

Attachments

• cattleEgrretFlash021011.jpg
    cattleEgrretFlash021011.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 40
Yes Ms. Colleen (said the recalcitrant student).;);)

OK. A second 15 minute version. It was going along well until I used a small brush for the foliage and reeds. If I'd remembered to switch to a big brush and very simple tonal blocks I would have been done with time to spare and a better looking painting.

Attachments

• cattleEgrretFlash021011V2.jpg
    cattleEgrretFlash021011V2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Still a nice one though. Maybe we should try the '15-minute-flash-painting-using-nothing-smaller-than-a-half-inch-brush' thread!

Mike

I still don't spend much time looking when I do field sketching and instead just rush into it. I'm still trying to learn to slow down and look. But with finished work I spend forever looking before I actually DO something. And sometimes I still can't figure out what to do.

Those are the times when it seems like the time to revive this thread and try a 15 minute flash painting. These are the first tree swallows of spring seen a couple of weeks ago. A small watercolor.

Attachments

• treeSwallowsFlash040211.jpg
    treeSwallowsFlash040211.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 85
still working hard on the sea, but yesterday for the first time did some field sketching in the bay....maybe some seagulls:gh:

Heermanns Gull

after a dismal day painting a wave #21 of the 100 set, I decided to resurrect this thread for a flash Heermanns in oil. on the back of an old pastel board

whew pretty rusty will have to try some more, remember the boundaries are no drawing first and 15 min time limit.

Attachments

• heermaans flash4638.jpg
    heermaans flash4638.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 65
remember the boundaries are no drawing first and 15 min time limit.

Almost sounds like a challenge.;) I'm happy to see one of my favorite threads revived. Oddly I was just thinking about it the other day.

Nice job on the gull. And I hope we'll see more. I still think these flash paintings are incredibly useful.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back