• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whats The Answer? (1 Viewer)

shezza

Hi all I have got some very fine detailed clips on HD video when I download them onto my pc all is well even when I render and save them they are perfect. But when I come to burning them to dvd they lose all the quality!
Whats the way forward is it blu-ray? any ideas.

You should at least get quality equivalent to SD television on a DVD if you are recording to the correct format. Sometimes editing software - especially older versions are pretty poor at rendering to DVD. The newer and more expensive packages did produce better results.

I also appear to get far better results from a dedicated video camera than a stills camera recording in 'Full HD', however, I don't have the time at the moment to investigate and I understand that it is possible to get broadcast quality out of the better Canon slrs at least. In addition my standard computer is not optimised for video at the moment.

I have had (for sometime) a desktop box onto which I intend to work up to be my video editing machine. It has a blu-ray burner as I do think that this is the way to go, along with quad core processor and lots of memory. It is sheduled to be brought on line later this year once I have upgraded a few more components. The only downside is a shortage of my time to get it sorted and the fact that it is quite noisy with a lot of cooling fans. The intention will be to install whatever appears to be the best affordable software when it is finally operational, possibly from Sony.

I must admit that the difference betweeen displaying HD straight from the camera onto an HD screen and then playing the DVD SD version onto the same screen is a very different experience.

To be honest I think very few folks with an HD recording capability get beyond keeping the short clips on their computers as getting out a decent edited version on disk is a bit of a quantum leap over the equivalent stills process. Anyway later this year I may find that things have changed since my last video editing box bit the dust.

Last edited:
What software are you using to edit your videos ?

It very much depends on the project settings you are using on your editor. Most non-linear editor programs (such as Premiere) ask you to define project settings at the start; a typical setting for HD video would be 1080P 25 fps. When you preview your edited video on the PC there will be some loss of quality until the movie is rendered. I find playback on Windows Media Player makes the final product look poor, but when the project is burned to Blu-Ray or DVD it looks very good.

Secondly, you need to take a look at export settings on your editor; for Blu-ray I use H264 Blu-ray settings and I can't tell the difference between the original footage (shot as HDV) and the Blu-Ray - both very nice quality.

Hope this is of some help.

Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back