• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummer at Canopy Tower, Panama (1 Viewer)

AdrianFisher

Is this a female White-vented Plumeleteer? It seems about right to me, but I would be grateful for confirmation by the experts. (It's the only photo that I have of this bird.)

Attachments

• AW8I4890.jpg
    AW8I4890.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 48
Based on the extent of scaling and bill structure, I'd be more inclined to Magnificent?

A

Last edited:
Perhaps this isn't a female, I'd expect to see whitish tips the the tail?

What about Bronze-tailed, just not sure White-vented should be so scaly,a female anyway, any more shots?

A

Last edited:
Interesting bird, my guess is that it's a young male White-vented. The long, dark tail and bronzy upper tail coverts that may be molting in point to that species along with the dark bill and dark feet (and rule out Bronze-tailed and female jacobin). The spotting on underparts doesn't fit with a female nor with an adult male so perhaps it's a young male.

Interesting bird, my guess is that it's a young male White-vented. The long, dark tail and bronzy upper tail coverts that may be molting in point to that species along with the dark bill and dark feet (and rule out Bronze-tailed and female jacobin). The spotting on underparts doesn't fit with a female nor with an adult male so perhaps it's a young male.

It was the spotting on the underparts that was puzzling me, but young male sounds like a good bet.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back