• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Turkey (1 Viewer)

Hi Bob,

I spent about 10 weeks birding in Turkey in 1996 (so things might have changed since then). This was between late March and early June. It's pretty fantastic for birds (I saw about 275 species) and there are a lot of good sites all around the country. A friend of mine came out with me for a couple of weeks and managed 200 so it's possible to do well in a short period of time. During those two weeks we went to three areas - the Goksu Delta (terrific wetland), Birecik (fantastic for eastern species) and the Taurus Mountains (very good for upland species). Let us know what specific plans and interests you have and I'll give you some more details.

Fifebirder said:
Hi Bob,

I spent about 10 weeks birding in Turkey in 1996 (so things might have changed since then). This was between late March and early June. It's pretty fantastic for birds (I saw about 275 species) and there are a lot of good sites all around the country. A friend of mine came out with me for a couple of weeks and managed 200 so it's possible to do well in a short period of time. During those two weeks we went to three areas - the Goksu Delta (terrific wetland), Birecik (fantastic for eastern species) and the Taurus Mountains (very good for upland species). Let us know what specific plans and interests you have and I'll give you some more details.
One of my friends did mention the Goksu Delta,but 200 species in two weeks thats great,we are thinking of moving to the Alanya district in the near future,also looking for books on birding in Turkey,thanks again for the info.

Have a look on the Birdguides site bookshop for guides to Turkey:

http://www.birdguides.com/estore/browse.asp?cat=30

I think there have been quite a few books written on birding in Turkey. I found David Gosney's guides to be quite useful. There are obviously a lot of 'undiscovered' sites and I would think that every part of the country has a lot to offer. Migrants in particular tend to be found all the time everywhere in spring. It was very hard to go to any area of woodland in April without seeing quite a few Collared and Pied Flycatchers for instance. Along the Mediterranean coast many of the specialities are quite common in the right habitat - Cretzchmar's Bunting, Masked Shrike and Ruppell's Warbler in scrub, Kruper's Nuthatch in pine forests etc. Even a small wetland is likely to be productive but the Goksu Delta is simply one of the best places I've ever been birdwatching. As well as a vast array of typical east Mediterranean wetland species, there are birds like Marbled Duck, Black Francolin and Graceful Warbler. You really won't be lacking for birds to look at!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back