• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When will the Hummingbirds Leave ??? (1 Viewer)

I visited Scottsdale, Arizona during the winter for 10 years and there were always a few Costas and Annas around. Neil.

I'm in the foothills near Sabino and I have multiple species of hummers year-round. I'd venture that my property is Costa's central, in fact.

Just keep your feeders up and the juice fresh and you'll be rewarded!

Thanks. I'm on the far SE side of Tucson, actually in Vail, so my altitude is probably similar to yours.

I visited Scottsdale, Arizona during the winter for 10 years and there were always a few Costas and Annas around. Neil.

Well, Scottsdale is in the Phoenix area so it is at a lower altitude than here in Tucson--but I'm hoping that you are right! From proxylady's post, it seems that you are.

Wow, Hong Kong--that must be cool and very interesting.

Last edited:
I am in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains. Here in Oregon the Summer is on it's way out and the days are getting shorter. Every year around this time, the number of our Hummers started to decrease. I think that some of them have already headed south. By mid to end of September almost all of our Hummers are gone. I leave the feeders out well into late Fall just in case...
I am looking forward seeing them next April as they usually return in the Spring.

Thanks for all the replies Guys & Gals !!! I'm actually noticing a definate upswing in the number of hummers visiting my feeders right now here in NJ ... I only have about half a dozen birds that visit me regularly and not only are they coming more often , But I see lots of passer thru's too !!!

The latest date I've seen a hummingbird at my home in SE Michigan is October 23. On other years the last sighting has been on October 18-21. Usually the last ones we see are juveniles that tend to perch relatively low, very near flowers or feeders.

Sunday afternoon had my first Rufous of the southern migration here in Napa, CA. That's a little earlier than last year. It was a juvenile male and he was very entertaining, particularly as the resident Anna's took an instant dislike to him, but we had some great views.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back