• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some IDs - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
Took these at the local Reservoirs this morning, would like confirmation please. You never know, I might get one of them right.|=)|

Picture 1: Black Headed Gulls + Common Terns

Picture 2: Mallards, although I'm not used to seeing them standing

Picture 3: Chiffchaff ?

Picture 4: Black Headed Gull

Thanks.

Attachments

• P1060548R.JPG
    P1060548R.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 94
  • P1060698R.JPG
    P1060698R.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 95
  • P1060709.JPG
    P1060709.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 92
  • P1060633R.JPG
    P1060633R.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 72
Look good to me.

Are there male mallards in eclipse in that photo?

By the way, which reserve(s) was that Chris?

Thanks

Look good to me.

Are there male mallards in eclipse in that photo?

By the way, which reserve(s) was that Chris?

Thanks

Damn, I actually got them all right.*runs off giggling*

I'm not sure about the eclipse plumage, I'm not quite up to that yet.|=)|

All birds were at Walthamstow Reservoirs (SSSI, 10 reservoirs, 100s of birds there), most well known birds there are Grey Herons and Little Egrets.

Thank you both for confirming the IDs.

I'll 3rd your I.D.'s your 4th pic of Black-Headed Gull, adult moulting from summer to winter plumage.

I'll 3rd your I.D.'s your 4th pic of Black-Headed Gull, adult moulting from summer to winter plumage.

Thanks for that, Paul. I was actually wondering if it was in moult, but I didn't want to push my luck and suggest it.|=)|

The three foreground Mallards are all male 'eclipse' birds. You can tell by bill colour and can compare with the female Mallard at the top back of the photo.

The three foreground Mallards are all male 'eclipse' birds. You can tell by bill colour and can compare with the female Mallard at the top back of the photo.

Thanks, now you've said it I can see exactly what you mean. Incidentally, is it possible that the reason they didn't fly off while I photographed them, because they couldn't? Or are they only flightless for a very short period of time? (assuming that I'm remembering correctly that they can't fly for a time)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back