• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why can' they make an alpha binocular with a 600 foot FOV and sharp edges? (1 Viewer)

Well, I feel as if I'm in Vegas w/flashing marquee. Amazing that Tasco found the time to sub out work in gay Paris. Who'd 'ave thunkit?

Genghis Kahn was probably swappin' sake, short grain rice & muskox jerky for glass, champagne & can-can dancers to break the monotony betwixt pillaging from the thunderous herd & dukin' it out w/cavalier christians crusadin' around eastern Europe.

ETA: Here's a case w/shoulder strap fitting for the storied the Tasco:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antonio-Sce...t=Vintage_Handbags_Purses&hash=item4cfe77da8d

Last edited:
Oculars on the monkey ward about 22mm, plastic prism covers & super wide angle ultra violet coating on the plastic endcaps?

Art. No. 67-7037

What's on the left prism cover?
---------------
Here ya go a Tasco zoom, so you can really appreciate optics & wide angle, along w/578' FOV Sears combo platter.

Perchance the gent has something else in the bin allowing you to supersize the order.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tas...330688937703?pt=Binocular&hash=item4cfe98bee7

As for Howard Stern's statement concerning ignore lists I'd like to second that to anyone that's ignoring me.

Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, wait a gall durned second! If'n they're ignoring me they can't read this.

Never mind.

The prism covers may well be plastic, I have not looked closely yet. The objectives sit in a screw out of the solid metal body very plastic affair. Ditto on the endcap lettering.

These oculars are 23.2 mm. The number is 67-7038.

Left prism plate reads
Montgomery Wards
Fully Coated
BAK-4 Prisms
Precision Optics

I am in the process of posting about some of these vintage binoculars, so further dsacription will wait.

The Sears in the Tasco Zoom combo add are worth the bidding price by themselves.

Well, I feel as if I'm in Vegas w/flashing marquee. Amazing that Tasco found the time to sub out work in gay Paris. Who'd 'ave thunkit?

Genghis Kahn was probably swappin' sake, short grain rice & muskox jerky for glass, champagne & can-can dancers to break the monotony betwixt pillaging from the thunderous herd & dukin' it out w/cavalier christians crusadin' around eastern Europe.

ETA: Here's a case w/shoulder strap fitting for the storied the Tasco:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antonio-Sce...t=Vintage_Handbags_Purses&hash=item4cfe77da8d

That's a nice case but what would your fellow birders say about it?

The prism covers may well be plastic, I have not looked closely yet. The objectives sit in a screw out of the solid metal body very plastic affair. Ditto on the endcap lettering.

These oculars are 23.2 mm. The number is 67-7038.

Left prism plate reads
Montgomery Wards
Fully Coated
BAK-4 Prisms
Precision Optics

I am in the process of posting about some of these vintage binoculars, so further dsacription will wait.

The Sears in the Tasco Zoom combo add are worth the bidding price by themselves.

Steve
What do you think of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Nik...110826146806?pt=Binocular&hash=item19cdc0cbf6

They will go for over $100 for sure. You would be better off asking Frank or Henry. I have not seen one of these. I have an older Nikon Naturalist II, but I doubt comments would be comparable.

Frank probably has a bid in there somewhere too ;). Just checked, he does. This is not showing on my search and I have two searches with parameters that should have showed these.

Last edited:
Dennis
That is the early Series E made prior to 1990. A nice view but the later FMC E models have better coatings, and are more desireable. I would guess this auction would end close to the $150-$200 mark when the dust settles. Here is a pic of what the later ones look like. Easy way to tell is from the logo and marking on the left top plate
Tom

Attachments

• nik7x35-1d.jpg
    nik7x35-1d.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 113
Dennis
That is the early Series E made prior to 1990. A nice view but the later FMC E models have better coatings, and are more desireable. I would guess this auction would end close to the $150-$200 mark when the dust settles. Here is a pic of what the later ones look like. Easy way to tell is from the logo and marking on the left top plate
Tom

Are those yours? Are they optically good. They look like they are pretty compact which I like.

Are those yours? Are they optically good. They look like they are pretty compact which I like.

The seller on E-bay that I bought the Taylor Vintage Binoculars from sent me a list of recommended Vintage binoculars. The Taylors didn't work out for me the focus was too tight. Here they are:

"Tasco 1xx series - These are the oldest Tascos I believe, from the late 50s and early 60s
Tasco 4xx series
Tasco World Class porros

Bushnell Custom
Bushnell Featherlight = Fuji Photo Optical optics
Bushnell Rangemasters

Yashica classic body style porros

Agfa - these are German made, not Japanese

Canon - classic body style porros, the 8x30s are really nice

Nikon E series
Nippon Kagaku

San & Steriffe 9xx series

Taylor Optical Mark II series

Jason Venture series porros
Jason Statesman series

Bausch & Lomb Zephyr classic body style porros
Bausch & Lomb Discoverer classic body style porros

Celestron Nova series classic body style porros = Tamron Optics I believe

Swift Mark II series
Swift Holiday
Swift SportKing Wide Angle
Swift Neptune
Swift Audubon
Swift Kestrel

Sears Discoverer

Carl Schulz

Some Binolux
Some Empire
Some Mirakel

Sunset classic body style wide angle porros

Happy Hunting!"

The Canon 8x30s are very nice. I also briefly had a set of Fujinon Meibos from that era and the views were very clean and sharp. There are some gems around.

Andrew

How tight is the focus on the Canon 8x30's? That seems to be the Deal Killer for me.

Stock close focus is about 9' for my eyes. This porros have much more inward movement of the ocular assembly then need for infinity focus for my eyes so I could tweak them for even closer focus by adjusting for more outward travel of the ocular but of course still making sure the oculars stay within their ocular tubes. 9' however seems plenty close for this type of binocular so I'll probably leave the stock ocular adjustments as is.

Steve

How do you lubricate them?

Unscrew the cap on the front/objective side of the center hinge. Insert a small screwdriver into the exposed hole to loosen the slotted screw that retains the threaded ocular adjustment mechanism within the center hinge. Then simply turn the focus wheel until the oculars move to the rear and the focus screw disengages and lift the ocular assembly from the ocular tubes. I usually clean the threads with an old tooth brush and alcohol or solvent and lube with grease. It's really quite simple once you've done a pair or two.

Steve

Unscrew the cap on the front/objective side of the center hinge. Insert a small screwdriver into the exposed hole to loosen the slotted screw that retains the threaded ocular adjustment mechanism within the center hinge. Then simply turn the focus wheel until the oculars move to the rear and the focus screw disengages and lift the ocular assembly from the ocular tubes. I usually clean the threads with an old tooth brush and alcohol or solvent and lube with grease. It's really quite simple once you've done a pair or two.

Steve

Interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back