• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird found! Looks like a dragon! (1 Viewer)

furstreak

i kid you not, this thing looks wild, video captured of it in monterrey, nl I have no clue were that is but it sounds spanish in the video. Im no linguist so someone here will have to fill in the blanks. If anyone cant post some links to pics or other video then it would be very appriciated. I have never seen anything like this. Also the link provided is not spam or advertising. The only info i know is that i have none about this creature. check it out.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81074241/

Welcome to BirdForum, furstreak.

I can't tell for sure from the video, but the bird could be a Common Poorwill (Tapacaminos Tevíi; Phalaenoptilus nuttallii)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Poorwill
http://www.utahbirds.org/birdsofutah/BirdsA-C/CommonPoorwill.htm

If it isn't, it is surely a related species of nightjar (family Caprimulgidae). They all have wide mouths which with they catch flying insects during the night; they sleep during the day.

Monterrey is the capital of Nuevo Leon, a state in northeastern Mexico that barely borders Texas. The language in the video is Spanish.

It never ceases to amaze me what media hype does to people, The bird in my opinion is clearly a member of the Nightjar/frogmouth family, granted they look a bit odd...but a dragon, come on!!

C'mon people you must be missing something. How could that be a member of the Nightjar family... it's clearly a fire breathing dragon, and I heard it ate a man whole before they finally managed to capture it.

C'mon people you must be missing something. How could that be a member of the Nightjar family... it's clearly a fire breathing dragon, and I heard it ate a man whole before they finally managed to capture it.

And at night their eyes glow red!!!

Commentary of the video says moreless: people saw something they thought looked like a witch ("bruja", no mention of dragon), they captured the thing and found out it was a strange bird.
Nothing overly dramatic then, though the background music maybe does the trick ;)

Last edited:
This is clearly a dragon. The captured one being newly hatched. The one in flight I would estimate has a wingspan of between 10 and 20 metres. If you look closely, you can see smoke emanating from its nostrils.

Or maybe it's a flying pig.

According to my Mexican field guide, potoos are not found near Monterrey. A potoo, a bird of the tropical lowlands, would be quite a find in the northern zone of Monterrey (mentioned as the site of the filming at the beginning of the video), which is in the foothills (at about 537 m/1760 ft altitude) of the Sierra Madre Oriental mountains not too far from the US-Mexico border. The bird strikes me as too dark to be a potoo.

Giant Ravens have been firmly established as occurring in the US. What we need, now, is equally firm evidence that they occur in Mexico.
;)

They are extinct; to be seen never more! Since you are from Maryland you should know that! The last one was seen in Baltimore in the 19th century once upon a midnight dreary.;)

Bob

They are extinct; to be seen never more! Since you are from Maryland you should know that! The last one was seen in Baltimore in the 19th century once upon a midnight dreary.;)

Bob

But they live on as hybrids with the Ivory-billed Woodpecker.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back