• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ1000 Review... (2 Viewers)

The first company to make a bridge camera like the Nikon P900 but include a full size sensor will probably have a licence to print money, surely the holy grail amongst birdwatchers?

The first company to make a bridge camera like the Nikon P900 but include a full size sensor will probably have a licence to print money, surely the holy grail amongst birdwatchers?

I've seen some great results from the P900 at full zoom. I've been told that its a bit slow in clearing its buffer, taking around 1 second for each shot, so 10 shots takes 10 seconds to clear and you can't use the camera during that time. However its image quality is very good.

My understanding of full frame sensors is (and I could be way off here), that if you have have a full size sensor then the lens like that would have to be 2 metres long, so I don't think that's going to happen. As it is, a lot of birders are looking at he P900 with serious intentions, because it does get you in close and it does give excellent results.

I would expect greater reach with same sensor to come at the cost of greater weight.

I would expect that if a new version comes out it will have the same sensor but tweaks to processing allowing even better high iso shots (this part is conjecture, I do not know how good the process is at the moment).

Niels

When the FZ1000 came out there was agreement that the sensor was the same that was used on the sony 1-inch cameras. Well, Sony just came out with updates to their cameras featuring a new, more capable sensor (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8964627573/fully-stacked-hands-on-with-sony-s-rx100-iv-and-rx10-ii). If Pana gets access to this sensor, then I would expect a similar way forward: a FZ1000-II with the new sensor and minimal other changes.

Niels

When the FZ1000 came out there was agreement that the sensor was the same that was used on the sony 1-inch cameras. Well, Sony just came out with updates to their cameras featuring a new, more capable sensor (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8964627573/fully-stacked-hands-on-with-sony-s-rx100-iv-and-rx10-ii). If Pana gets access to this sensor, then I would expect a similar way forward: a FZ1000-II with the new sensor and minimal other changes.

Niels

Interesting, though there is no review yet.

And doubly interesting if the tech shown here will make it into the next GH level camera (and from there into other m4/3 cameras).

Niels

I did read somewhere that Sony keeps its new technology for a year before allowing it to filter through to other brands. If this is correct and it may not be, then don't expect to see any new sensors in Panasonic, or other brands featuring the new technology for a year or so. If that statement is incorrect, then hopefully we'll see these new sensors appearing fairly soon in new models.

I did read somewhere that Sony keeps its new technology for a year before allowing it to filter through to other brands. If this is correct and it may not be, then don't expect to see any new sensors in Panasonic, or other brands featuring the new technology for a year or so. If that statement is incorrect, then hopefully we'll see these new sensors appearing fairly soon in new models.

Sony is emerging as the powerhouse in camera sensors, with close to a billion dollars in sales. My guess is they make much more money selling sensors than they do selling cameras. Perhaps the Sony camera guys see the development a bit clearer than outsiders and still get first crack at new stuff, but there is no exclusive. Fabs costs too much not to be run full tilt so I think Sony sells to all as soon as they can.

When zoomed out, I often have to spend some time reviewing my initial shots to get settings etc correct. I do this using the Electronic viewfinder. However after a short time the camera retracts the lens. Using Zoom resume does not seem to stop this occurring.

Has anyone figured out keep the zoom setting unchanged while in review mode?

When zoomed out, I often have to spend some time reviewing my initial shots to get settings etc correct. I do this using the Electronic viewfinder. However after a short time the camera retracts the lens. Using Zoom resume does not seem to stop this occurring.

Has anyone figured out keep the zoom setting unchanged while in review mode?

This is a very annoying feature of the FZ1000, which also happened in the FZ100/150 and 200. There is no way it can be turned off. A lot of people have complained about this for a long time and Panasonic can't, or won't do anything about it. I don't know why they don't give you the option to turn it on or off.

How to get the 4K video stills.

I am stumped as to how to go about creating 4K video and extracting stills from that.

I want to extract the stills on the computer not in camera.
I upgraded the firmware, and also the PhotoFun software.
Likely the problem is my just not understanding what software and part of that software I should be using to do that, and also not being able to work out what instructions I should be following. I am completely new to video. If someone can direct me to a beginners step by step "How to" instruction that might help.

I am not actually even sure if I have managed to create a 4K video correctly. My test video seems to be a .MP4 file.

I am stumped as to how to go about creating 4K video and extracting stills from that.

Likely the problem is my just not understanding what software and part of that software I should be using to do that, and also not being able to work out what instructions I should be following. I am completely new to video. If someone can direct me to a beginners step by step "How to" instruction that might help.

I am not actually even sure if I have managed to create a 4K video correctly. My test video seems to be a .MP4 file.

Hi Glenn, I can't tell you the best software for extracting 4k video stills, although I believe you can do it in Lightroom. I always take it from the camera. The 4kvideo is an MP4 file, so you're on the right track there, although you can also have full HD as a MP4 file. As long as you have 4k video selected in the video menu, you will get 4k video every time you push the shutter button when you are in the "creative video" mode. That's the video camera symbol on the top dial near the shutter button. If you take video by pressing the red button, you will get HD video. 4k can't be accessed via that button, only by using the shutter button.

Use the supplied PhotoFunStudio to playback 4k video, pause video where you want to save the still then press the capture button which looks like a picture off a camera. I've attached a screen grab of software, note the thumbnail shows what size video is.

Attachments

• photofun4k.JPG
    photofun4k.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Still stuck

Use the supplied PhotoFunStudio to playback 4k video, pause video where you want to save the still then press the capture button which looks like a picture off a camera. I've attached a screen grab of software, note the thumbnail shows what size video is.

Thanks very much for the screen grab. PhotoFun 9.5 is telling me that the file is not a format it supports?

Also, is there a way to get PhotoFun to open a file in a folder on my hard drive. Seems to be quite tricky.

Now that many of you have had this camera for over a year now what are your impressions?

I have not had it, but finally got one into my hands. And it confirmed my original impression that it was a camera too large for me these days. So I'm still sticking to my personal compromise: sacrifice some image quality in some cases, but having a camera that I really have with me.

I have not had it, but finally got one into my hands. And it confirmed my original impression that it was a camera too large for me these days. So I'm still sticking to my personal compromise: sacrifice some image quality in some cases, but having a camera that I really have with me.

And which camera are you sticking with?

And which camera are you sticking with?

FZ200, I have been very happy with it, though presently having run into the apparently no so rare problem with the thumbwheel. I have a second one (in US configuration) that is virtually brand new, though. I originally bought it for its somewhat higher number of video pictures per second (30 vs 25).
The FZ300/330 would probably be my choice now. Though it is also larger and heavier.

Last edited:
fz1000 vs fz2000 still grabs from 4k

Hi all.......great info on this site...

1. Is there any difference in IQ in the still grabs form the fz2000/2500,

fz300/330 and fz1000?

2. Upgrading from the fz300 to the fz1000 or fz2000 worth it in the real world?

Use birding & macro

thnx.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back