• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Action vs Action Extreme (1 Viewer)

Rick

When I grew up, every box of Crackerjacks had a small toy wrapped inside - I assume they still do, but haven't bought any in quite a while.

Yes, but I remember but not all toys were equal! Most were common junk but a rare few were could give a kid braggin rights. Wanna bet a plantiffs attorney somewhere in the USA has sued Crackerjack and the now "dangerous" toy is no longer in the box?

Yes, but I remember but not all toys were equal! Most were common junk but a rare few were could give a kid braggin rights. Wanna bet a plantiffs attorney somewhere in the USA has sued Crackerjack and the now "dangerous" toy is no longer in the box?

Rick and Tom:

You guys are right, for me as a kid, the fun was the toy in Cracker Jacks,
the caramel popcorn was never all that great. Oh well, things we remember.;)

Jerry

Crow:

I just spent a few minutes on Cloudy Nights, Bin. subforum, Check the mini-reviews, scroll down to the Nikons. The 10x50 Action is reviewed by EdZ.
He is an expert in this field, check out what his views are, lots of discussion also on the Action EX.
I am thinking the EX is better, I have the 12x50 EX, and I also have or have had several other Action models.
Read and learn, probably no better reviews, that I can think of on these.;)
The astro guys are very fussy, and a great resource.

Jerry

I read the reviews.

It seems so strange to me that Nikon would train it's customer service people so poorly that they wouldn't know squat about some of their best selling binoculars.

Well at the price of the Action Extremes I was wondering what you would choose between as a mostly deck and night sky bin, between the Prostaff 7 10x42
and those 10x50s?

I like roofs and I would also easily take them afield.

I read the reviews.

It seems so strange to me that Nikon would train it's customer service people so poorly that they wouldn't know squat about some of their best selling binoculars.

Well at the price of the Action Extremes I was wondering what you would choose between as a mostly deck and night sky bin, between the Prostaff 7 10x42
and those 10x50s?

I like roofs and I would also easily take them afield.

Crow:

That is an easy one. I have the PS 7 10x42 within arms reach, and have been comparing with some others, the 10x42 EDG, and the 10x42 SE.
My office window offers a nice view. I have mentioned before I do like the Prostaff 7.
The comparison itself should tell you something.

The Prostaff 7, is a great value in its price point. Go for it. You should be able
to try all of these in a large sporting goods store.

As far as Nikon service, they are trained for what they do. They have no optical
expertise, and so I would not rely on it. Nikon is very good however, with solid
support, and I give them a high rating.

No astro recs. here, and I do think the current pricing on the PS 7, is very good.

Jerry

Thanks for the recommendation. I have looked through the Prostaff and found them to be very good. I have until mid March to get in on the $50 rebate.

There is a full page review of the Nikon Prostaff 10X 42 MM Binocular on page 56 of the new March 2012 issue of NRA's "American Rifleman." It is thorough (notes that they are chinese made and prisms are aluminum, and has slight aberration at the outer edges of the lenses, but only noticed while testing them and not while using them. They liked the eyecups.) and fair and favorable. Summarized; "..........a sportsman can buy an optic that should serve him for years to come, all without breaking the bank."

Bob

While it might not be so useful to the OP anymore, I am the owner of a Nikon Action Express 10x50, which is quite uncommon in here apparently. On the other hand, several birders who I have known use the Action 10x50, so it has happened to me to compare experiences and I looked through the Action.

Optically, the two binoculars seemed quite similar to me, but maybe the Action Express does have a very slight edge. Both the owners of the Action commented my binocular's view had more definition. Me, I thought the AE has a slightly more "tridimensional" feeling. One difference I did notice is how soft is the focusing knob of the Action, which is quite stiff on my AE which makes it painfully slow to change focus from far away to close or the reverse (that is a problem when I am, for example, at a lake watching ducks far away, and some little brown job comes out close to me which does seem to happen often).

Then the weight. The Action is so light it feels like a toy compared to the Action Express. For me this is not positive as while I don't care about carrying weight around, a heavier binocular makes it easier for me to hold it steady (but I think many people would welcome a lighter binocular).

All said, I did wonder if I could not have saved some money and gotten me a binocular which would have served me more or less the same.

I sent off an email to nikon just to see if I'd get the same response twice and here's what I got back.

Both the Action and Action Extreme will have very similar optic, both are multicoated. The only difference is that the Action Extreme binoculars are waterproof.

Thanks,
Ed

Thanks for using Nikon products!
Nikon Inc. (USA) Support / Service

Could they be more vague? First he says similar and then he says no difference. Who trains these guys?

Last edited:
I sent off an email to nikon just to see if I'd get the same response twice and here's what I got back.

Both the Action and Action Extreme will have very similar optic, both are multicoated. The only difference is that the Action Extreme binoculars are waterproof.

Thanks,
Ed

Thanks for using Nikon products!
Nikon Inc. (USA) Support / Service

Could they be more vague? First he says similar and then he says no difference. Who trains these guys?

As I mentioned before I would lend more credence to the posters on this forum (especially someone like Henry) than the staff at Nikon USA. I've got a lot of Nikon products ,deal with them on a fairly regular basis...and I'm always surprised at their unfamiliarity with their own products.

The people I've dealt with are fairly proficient at matching a model number with a part number but I really don't think most of them could tell you the difference between a porro and a roof.

I know they have some qualified repair technicians who really know the difference in their various products but Nikon reminds me of my local Ford dealer. You have the guys out front who order parts etc. and the mechanics "in the back" who really know how things work. The big difference being I can always talk to the guy "in the back' at my local dealership--can't manage to do the same with Nikon USA.

Steve

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back