• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Petition to help protect the breeding birds of Lågskär, Finland (1 Viewer)

CornishExile

rydhsys rag Kernow lemmyn!
Not many of us may have heard of the place, but the island of Lågskär in the Alands is described by Antero Topp, editor of Finnish birding magazine Alula as "one of the most important breeding bird islands of the Finnish Baltic Sea" (Alula Vol 11/2).

Antero is trying to highlight the effects disturbance may have on the breeding success of the birds of this island, and to this end has compiled a short questionnaire, the results of which can be used to form the basis of a petition to go to Birdlife Finland and the Alands Fagelskyddsforening (AFF - Alands Bird Protection Society) to highlight the issue of conservation of Lågskär.

His questions are as follows:

a) Should landings (except by the observatory personnel) be prohibited at Lågskär during the breeding deason (dates 15/4 - 15/7)? Yes or No.

b) Should the felling of Juniper be stopped? Yes or No.

c) Can your opinion be added to a petition going to AFF and Birdlife Finland about the protection of Lågskär? Yes or No.

Replies should be emailed to Antero Topp, at the email address anttu1952ATalula.fi

Antero concludes his editorial piece about Lågskär in the current issue of Alula by saying

"As no party seems to be particularly interested in protecting Lågskär, I am going to take the issue to Birdlife International. I will enclose your answers, so be active and take part to help the birds of Lågskär. I especially hope that our foreign readers will participate towards achieving our common goal - bird protection."

More information about Lågskär and the Alands is on our very own Birdforum:

http://www.birdforum.net/thedirectory/showproduct.php?product=37&sort=7&cat=998&page=1

Jon

Well that sort of response speaks volumes (22 views to date). Not sexy enough to warrant anyone caring apparently. No stories of raptors or other flagship species being shot in the name of science / sliced by windfarms / persecuted for the hell of it - just boring ordinary birds somewhere few of us know about.

Shame on you.

ce

Well c.e., while it doesn't explain the lack of views for the thread i have to say that without access to the original article i do find it a little confusing and wouldn't really know what i was signing up to (not to say it's not a good cause of course). Which birds are under threat, why is landing on the island or cutting juniper threatening them, and what's the evidence for it all??
james

probably worth many BFers trying to get hold of a sample of Alula. In my view its better than Birdwatch or Birdwatching......................

CE - haven't read this quarters its in my holiday read pile.

James Lowther said:
Well c.e., while it doesn't explain the lack of views for the thread i have to say that without access to the original article i do find it a little confusing and wouldn't really know what i was signing up to (not to say it's not a good cause of course). Which birds are under threat, why is landing on the island or cutting juniper threatening them, and what's the evidence for it all??
james
I'm with James. A little bit more info would help us appreciate the situation better & then respond appropriately.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back