• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (6 Viewers)

Two Firecrest present at Hill Top 12:30 per Madge several Birders on Site
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
1 firecrest still in dense holly 30 m down from sign post at crossroads near Gun Emplacements showing well 12.05 also 1 skylark in field and 17 fieldfare over per Tim Hextell
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Swan pool, raven flew West, 15 cormorant, 15 GCGrebe, kingfisher, forge mill chiffchaff north ends per Tim Hextell
Good Birding YAMYAM

Brambling x2 female at Feeders this AM also Nuthatch, Willow Tit x2 and possible Marsh Tit briefly per Pete Carless
Good Birding YAMYAM

74+ Goosander roosted. 30 Shoveler, 20+ Gadwall, 8 Wigeon, 3 Pochard and 2 Little Egret per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

My pennies worth ............

No joy on my two previous visits to the gun emplacement area in search of the Firecrest.

However, today it was waiting for me and was seen immediately on reaching the favoured holly bush. Approximately 9.45 am. A second bird was also present, but I didn't get a fix on it and couldn't say if it was Fire or Gold. Both birds soon disappeared and no further sightings in the hour I spent at the spot.

Between Swan Pool and Hill Top .....
1 x Chiff chaff
4 x Nuthatch
2 x Treecreeper
9 x Goldcrest
8 x Coal Tit
At least 3 separate tit flocks with good numbers of Long Tailed.

I've been asked what the record count is for Goosander. The record stands at 106 birds recorded on the 2nd January 2013 per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Just to keep you informed.- My twitching mate saw the Firecrest today (9.45 -10.15) in usual place, track to Gun Emplacement. I unfortunately was at a Funeral, so will try again tomorrow, hopefully third time lucky.

Richard

Only one possible brief sighting Firecrest 10.30-11.45. Myself Pete Forbes. c 30 Redwing, Skylark per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

I've been asked if the 17 Great Crested Grebe was a Valley record,the max count to-date is 22 birds on Swan Pool in December 2000
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back