• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why do you buy Bird Art... (1 Viewer)

cjoakley

Just wondering if any of the bird art owners and collectors who visit this section of the forum would be willing to share what motivates them to buy bird art?

I thought it might prove interesting to discover whether the actual reasons people have for buying bird art bear any relation to what I think their reasons are?

...obviously some of us will be both buyers and artists but whatever the case - please feel free to chime in.

I'll start off the topic by saying that whether I'm creating or buying bird art - I'm seeking to make that same connection with the bird that I experience when I'm birdwatching, sketching and taking photos...sounds simplistic put like that but for me it's true nonetheless.

Anyone else?

Perhaps artists are tight with the pennies and cents. If I could afford to buy art all it would need is the wow factor. Many artists work on here achieve that with birds i have never come in contact with. Im not the bigest fan of total realism I like to see it been done with paints or pencil.

Sorry Chris - your post seemed to be asking why buyers buy art. I'm not one, so could only speak from a perspective of what I think other people may feel. I suspect the reason for minimal response here in the 'practitioners' area is most folk who are reading this are in the same boat . . . and, if my sales are anything to go by over the past couple of years, NO-ONE's buying art - not mine, anyway :)

I agree with you Tim, at the moment the frames are worth more than the pic's.(not yours though! speaking personaly now)
I think buying as always in the eye of the beholder, unless they can see a profit by investing. its a fact that the money is tight for everyone at the moment.

Sorry Chris - your post seemed to be asking why buyers buy art. I'm not one, so could only speak from a perspective of what I think other people may feel. I suspect the reason for minimal response here in the 'practitioners' area is most folk who are reading this are in the same boat . . . and, if my sales are anything to go by over the past couple of years, NO-ONE's buying art - not mine, anyway :)

I didn't respond for same reason as Tim and others - I'm not in the 'art buyer' camp. Not that I wouldn't love to be. But at the moment it's very hard to justify the expense of buying what I'd like. And then if I did I'd still have to convince my wife!!

I belong to a small coop gallery and the lack of sales is causing no end of problems there. Members inlcuding myself are getting unhappy about all the time that it requires when few or no sales result from all the work we put into it. Just a bad time for artists right now I think, unless you're one of those people who sell for millions.

If I did buy art it most likely would be for art that makes me feel as excited and happy to be alive as being out on a sunny spring morning as migration begins. I've seen a fair amount of art that does that.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back