• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID stuffed parrot (1 Viewer)

Amarillo

Hi all,
Bit of a random one. I know this section is for IDs of wild birds, but where can I get a 100 year old stuffed parrot identified?!
Don't want to breach rules so I'll wait to get the go-ahead before posting...

Hi all,
Bit of a random one. I know this section is for IDs of wild birds, but where can I get a 100 year old stuffed parrot identified?!
Don't want to breach rules so I'll wait to get the go-ahead before posting...

Try the infromation wanted section unless the mods are ok with it here. I don't think there's much difference with posting a shot of a dead bird that their cat killed or that they hit with a car which people do?

It's people who take shots when they go and view captive collections then post them here that gets my goat and it's not rigourosly enough moderated IMO.

A

Last edited:
Ok, probably something really boring and common anyway but here you go

Attachments

• 20170910_142936.jpg
    20170910_142936.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 185
Can i just say ..That for a 100 years dead he looks really happy... Was it his birthday that day or something 3:)

Orange-winged or Turquoise-fronted from what I can see. Will have to take a look to see how separable they are on a perhaps faded specimen.

I agree.

Made my day, at last a stuffed parrot on Birdforum....and a really nice one too :t:

Indeed, and, except for the colour, it does look rather like this Norwegian Blue, in the general pose and jizz:

http://youtu.be/npjOSLCR2hE

Only, personally I'd have pulled the tail a few centimeters further off the body.

After all it is quite a long tailed species, isn't it?

https://www.google.dk/search?q=amaz...UICSgB&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=PIsxawuc43fkCM:

Peter the stuffer.

Last edited:
Blue-fronted Amazon Parrot to me.. Looks like the blue on the front of the head has faded over the years, and the red on the wings (usually bright red).. These were probably the most commonly kept Amazon Parrot as a pet.. A proper Treasure Island Long-John Silver Parrot...

Last edited:
Blue-fronted Amazon Parrot to me.. Looks like the blue on the front of the head has faded over the years, and the red on the wings (usually bright red).. These were probably the most commonly kept Amazon Parrot as a pet.. A proper Treasure Island Long-John Silver Parrot...

Wouldn't we expect to see at least a hint of yellow on the bend of the wing?

A

Wouldn't we expect to see at least a hint of yellow on the bend of the wing?

A
Usually yes.. but you do see individuals with virtually none.. It's the bronze on its upper back which I find interesting... Baring in mind the age of this bird it may well be a colour morph which no longer exists.. Has quite a long tail too...

Last edited:
Usually yes.. but you do see individuals with virtually none.. It's the bronze on its upper back which I find interesting... Baring in mind the age of this bird it may well be a colour morph which no longer exists.. Has quite a long tail too...

Blue (turquoise) fronted was my first thought too, but some things didn't fit. There again, it is a very old specimen.

Of course, as it's likely that this was someone's pet, it's entirely possible that it's a hybrid.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back