• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which magazines (1 Viewer)

Keith Glasgow

Which art magazines do you subscribe to?

For me - Wildlife Art, Wildscape, International Artist, Birds Illustrated.

I'm not sure which I prefer, tho' it could well be 'Birds illustrated'.

Keith.

Which art magazines do you subscribe to?

For me - Wildlife Art, Wildscape, International Artist, Birds Illustrated.

I'm not sure which I prefer, tho' it could well be 'Birds illustrated'.

Keith.

I picked up a copy of Birds Illustrated Summer 2007 expecting it to be bit of a pot-boiler and was surprised by how good it was. It included a Woottonesque image by Darren Rees of a Great Skua harrassing Little Auks around column of rock. Darren R has obviously been lurking and learning on Tim's thread..

Ha ha ha ha ha - I really hope Darren doesn't read this, or my, thread - it would probably set him back years! (I still gaze in awe at the piece with which he won the 1991 Young European Bird Artist award - the guillemots - absolutely fantastic, and if I ever get anywhere near approaching this level of 'art' I'd be effing delighted (thanks anyway, Ed).
Oh - one excellent publication is Artists & Illustrators Magazine - eclectic and inspiring (occasionally). Hmmmmm - there may be something of particular interest coming up in the August edition . . . . . .

simple answer, none! I really should though.

If they came with a better quality of paper you could at least use them to paint on Nick...

Have to say I dont partake in magazines either, thoughh I would if there was a regular publication on birding art. Perhaps I shall publish one and get you lot to bounce in with a piece or two;)

Used to get every magazine going but cut it down to just Birds Illustrated, met Dave Cromack (the editor) last year at Martin mere, seemed like a good bloke and got the impression he does it for the love.

Used to get every magazine going but cut it down to just Birds Illustrated, met Dave Cromack (the editor) last year at Martin mere, seemed like a good bloke and got the impression he does it for the love.
Dave is truly one of the 'good guys' of publishing - and a real gentleman. I used to work for him as a freelancer on Birdwatching and Birds Illustrated (in another life and another century) and he was the least stress-free chap I've ever come across. Wish him all the best.

My 'Wildlife Art' magazine (published in the USA) hasn't arrived for a while - I've heard a rumour that they've closed the business last Summer! Can anyone confirm this?

Keith.

My 'Wildlife Art' magazine (published in the USA) hasn't arrived for a while - I've heard a rumour that they've closed the business last Summer! Can anyone confirm this?

Keith.

I'd heard it had ceased to be, and I haven't seen a copy for about six months at least.

For what it's worth I subscribe to Birds Illustrated and skim read the others in the shop to decide if there's anything worth buying them for, the article about a certain Mr Wootton for example.

Mike

Unfortunate ... Wildlife Art introduced me to a lot of great artists (albeit usually well hidden in the slew of paid content and print market art). They really became more of a 'western art' mag in their final days, and I stopped buying them some time ago. There's really nothing else available in these parts to replace them, though.

Wildlife Art did stop publishing but I recently got an email they will be starting up an online mag, sub is supposed to be $12 USD a year

Hello all- just checking, in case useful to others who like me may have lost their grip on what is available and whats not.

Is this about the size of it-

--Birds Illustrated [defunct]

--Wildlife Art [defunct]

--Wildscape [US published, alive]

--Wildlife Art Journal [US published, alive]

--Bird Art & Photography [UK published, alive]

Hello all- just checking, in case useful to others who like me may have lost their grip on what is available and whats not.

Is this about the size of it-

--Birds Illustrated [defunct]

--Wildlife Art [defunct]

--Wildscape [US published, alive]

--Wildlife Art Journal [US published, alive]

--Bird Art & Photography [UK published, alive]

I think Wildscape is UK published. And I think Bird Art & Photography sort of replaced Birds Illustrated (same editor I think). I must check out Wildlife Art Journal, as I've never heard of it. Many thanks,

Keith.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back