• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Appropriate bino in the 100-150$ range (1 Viewer)

infinite_zorba

I am a newbie and wish to use binos for just nature, treks, mountains, outdoor, and general use. Went to Bushnell and tried some binos. One thing that is clear is that the image reproduced by Porros is superior to Roof types.

I tried 8x40 Nature view porro, 8x42 porro (called Legend or H2O, don't know), and 8x42 H2O roof. The image from nature view was the best. It was sharp, clear, bright, great resolution, 3D. The images from 8x42 porro were good, the clear 3d high resolution image BUT were not that bright compared to Nature View. The colors were somewhat watered down, yellowish. Same image with H2O roof minus the 3D and resolution. However these last 2 are more rugged, water/fog proof. If the 8x40 porro were also water/fog proof I'd have gone for themwithoit thinking at all. Please help me decide. I'm highly inckined towards the 8x40 porro but they are not water/fog proof or as rugged as 8x42 porro. I do have steady hands and take great care of my possessions so am thinking that may be I can go for 8x40 nature view porro if it's not too susceptible to damage/water/fog. Has anyone here owned it? What was your experience?

Cheers

Hi and welcome.
I would think that in your location, which may sometimes have a combination of heat and humidity, a waterproof binocular may be advisable. However careful you are, moisture gets in.

Try different ones and buy the one you test not an identical boxed one. If the demonstrator is the best, buy that one, as they vary sample to sample.

I have a Bushnell 8x42 H2O Porro but I think that they are discontinued here. It is quite good.

[CheersBinastro;3579024]Hi and welcome.
I would think that in your location, which may sometimes have a combination of heat and humidity, a waterproof binocular may be advisable. However careful you are, moisture gets in.

Try different ones and buy the one you test not an identical boxed one. If the demonstrator is the best, buy that one, as they vary sample to sample.

I have a Bushnell 8x42 H2O Porro but I think that they are discontinued here. It is quite good.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Binastro! I think you are right in that water/dust etc does get in even if one is very careful. I'll most probably go with 8x42 h2o porro. It's just that the image from nature view 8x40 porro was amazingly clear and color reproduction was same as seen through naked eye as compared to the yellowish image with 8x42 porro. But then I guess you can't get everything. I am currently in India but will move to Australia soon. Would you hold the same advice for me considering that?

On a similar note, what do you think about Nikon binos? I could take a look into their Porros too as I've heard that they make excellent binos too.

Cheerw

Australia is a big place.
It depends which part.
There are Australians on the forum who can advise.

The Nikon Aculons (or Nikon Action V11, discontinued here, are mostly good, except the 10x40 which has very small eye relief and 11x40 really) are usually good and The Nikon Action EX if you want waterproof.

Australia is a big place.
It depends which part.
There are Australians on the forum who can advise.

The Nikon Aculons (or Nikon Action V11, discontinued here, are mostly good, except the 10x40 which has very small eye relief and 11x40 really) are usually good and The Nikon Action EX if you want waterproof.

The Action EX line is underappreciated.
They offer wider FoV and more eye relief than the Action or Aculon series.

Thanks a lot guys. Today I went and tried Nikon Action EX 10x50 Porro, Celestron Outland X 8x42 and 10x42. Images were all good from all three though were brighter from 10x50; understandably as they're 50mm lens. But they're bulky too. Needless to say, choosing binoculars is tough! I'll probably go with Bushnell 8x42 H2o roof or Celestron 8/10x42 Outland X.

One question - should I buy from Amazon? Price difference is a lot. The same bino which is being quoted at USD 120 by the dealer is at USD 50-60 on Amazon. One dealer though told me that stuff found online may be dodgy/damaged; that's why they are sold cheap online. Just considering that cos may be bino pieces come damaged if bought online. But then..it's Amazon. They'll refund if item is found damaged.

Cheers

Last edited:
The advantage of buying from a store is that you can choose physically the best binocular.
At this level there is sample variation. Also alignment issues giving eye strain. With a store these problems are easily dealt with.
If possible try 3 of the same binocular and choose the best. (I used to try 6 and buy the best).

Ask the dealer if he will give you a deal at $100 to persuade you to buy from the dealer rather than Amazon.

I buy nothing online, but that is unusual nowadays.

Zorba,

Binastro's advice is good. Pick the sample you like best.

And you should check the warranty of the binocular to make sure it is covered where you live and where you will use it. For instance, a Nikon Binocular purchased by you from a Dealer in Delhi should be covered by the Nikon Warranty but it may not be covered by the Nikon Warranty if you purchase it through Amazon. Read Nikon's policy on "Gray Market" purchases.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back