• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steve's paintings (2 Viewers)

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

An update on the Christmas auction, my painting remained at $115 with 10 minutes left, then there was a mini-flurry from a few bidders, a dozen or so bids later and the hammer fell at $170. So I was very pleased, especially knowing that money will help a family have a nice Christmas dinner and some presents for their kids.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Steve

Beautiful job on the Baltimore Oriole! A few years ago, we had a male Baltimore Oriole show up in one of our favorite birding locations (a large public park) out here. This is quite the rarity in the Northwest part of the US, and the very vocal and visible bird drew people from all over the NW to see it. Then one day it was gone and never seen again - we theorized that it probably became too tempting a target for a local Cooper's Hawk and become a meal.

Hi Steve - well all I can say is what a comeback! Incredible work - love both orioles - website looks good too.

Congrats on your first sale and luck with the stamp competitions.

Thanks for the kinds words Chris! Wow, time really flew by the last bit, I've been away from the forum too long with work and a bit of travel. Now I am busy getting some pieces together for submissions to a couple of competitions.

Here is a recent smaller piece I just completed, a head shot of Ontario's most common owl the Great Horned Owl. We see a nesting pair each spring in one of my favourite birding spots. It's acrylic on board, 15cm x 15cm (6" x 6") .

Attachments

• Great Horned Owl - Study.jpg
    Great Horned Owl - Study.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 51
Thanks guys.

Tim, you are right, we are very lucky to be able to see these birds so often. Southern Ontario is a pretty good spot for owls, we get Snowies and Great Greys almost every winter, then in the summer 5-6 other species are around. I've always loved owls, it's that great stare they have!

Love the Great Horned Owl. I saw one before I was into birding when working on Camp Spoilt Weasel in PA years back. We thought it was one of those giant plastic roof owls until it took off...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back