• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help, my cat has brought a baby bird home uninjured. Derby, England. (1 Viewer)

My cat has just walked down my path with a baby bird in it's mouth. Luckily my cat only has one tooth and the bird seems to be uninjured. I have looked around and have no idea where the nest is so cannot return the bird to the area.
My wife has put it in a shoe box but we have no idea what to do now!! Someone please help...what should we do?!

We are in Derby, England.

Thanks,
John

Ours brought in a Greenfinch early on Saturday morning. Totally uninjured until it had banged its head a few times trying to escape the bedroom. We eventually caught the poor thing, but it was stunned and wouldn't fly away. We did the shoebox thing for an hour, took it outside, lifted the lid and it went back to its calling mate in an instant.

Cats are a pain in the bum sometimes.

The cat won't have travelled far to get this bird. Just leave it where the cat cannot get it. It's mother will find it.

The other advice in this thread is good.

At the risk of sounding callous, if none of this worked, the little baby bird was already doomed. You couldn't have done any more and did all you could. A good 40-65% 0f all baby birds will not see their first year out due to misfortune, parental death and predators. If your cat had not been misguidedly trying to prompt you to start hunting for youself as if you were injured/its kitten it would have already been eaten and not troubled you.

Isn't Nature wonderful!

Put him back where I think he came from (think he fell from the guttering on next doors house cause I could hear lots of chirping) and checked the next morning but he had died!
I know its only nature but I could of throttled my cat for it!

Put him back where I think he came from (think he fell from the guttering on next doors house cause I could hear lots of chirping) and checked the next morning but he had died!
I know its only nature but I could of throttled my cat for it!

You surely must know you're nurturing and releasing a stealth predator into your environment every single day...

Being angry with the cat is a bit missing the point, really. What it did was perfectly natural behaviour. Your cat simply can't understand why you aren't hunting and is trying to give you a nudge in the right direction. It's probably angry with you in turn for wasting its efforts to bring you easy prey for practice and will continue to try.

Our cat did the same last year, brought in i think it was a baby sparrow, cant remember exactly, still alive, so my dad took it out, shut her in and put it under a bush in a garden two houses along where he knew the nest was like....above it.

Didnt let her out again, but she is amazingly smart and the most superb hunter, i have to give her credit, she went right back found it, killed it and brought it too us.

Its a shame, but thats life and unfortunatly our jessie, altho she's 14/15years old, she still loves to hunt, our last house was mice and voles, this place its birds, two so far and we've only been here 9ish months

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back