• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bill Cooks book now available (1 Viewer)

A personal question for Bill Cook-and others

re Nikon WX

THE BOOK will not arrive until ? Thursday, so my issue.

Since the WX was announced I have been interested ,
maybe obsessed ,with the WX10x50s.
WOW, the best optics, a new concept, something that I should have.
yet
if I get it what will I do with an overpriced, overweight binocular?
I view 10x50 as hand held, but these require a tripod;
and if I need a tripod I can see more with larger optics.
Birding maybe, but close focus is 20 meters.

The one redeeming grace is the price which is out of reach.
Please explore my bino obsessed psyche

thanks, I think
edj

Hi Ed:

I’m taking a break from working on the shed I’m really not man enough to work on. So, thank you for giving me a reason to sit down.

First, I wish I could have known about the WX before writing my vignette “It’s Sharp from The Center to The Edge.” I doubt if it would have TOTALLY changed my conclusion. But, all I have read indicates it would have certainly tweaked my thinking. An 85- degree AFoV in a 10-power, sharp to the edge; that’s nothing to sneeze at. $6,000, however, is right up there with congestive heart failure.

Unless he is a tool junky, a fellow needing to drill a number of 5/8-inch holes does not go to the hardware store to but an electric drill. He goes to buy those 5/8-inch holes. It’s just that the drill is the device that makes those holes possible.

There is NO DOUBT that the WX is a milestone in binocular development—I bought my SE for that very reason. What you must figure out is whether or not the WX is going to make your viewing experience $6,000 more valuable! Which is of greater interest, the holes or the drill? Only you can answer.

I would LOVE to have one. But, having no retirement—thank you Uncle Sam—I am waiting for my first royalty check to even buy some of my books to sell locally, thus it’s pretty obvious I will go to my grave without one. Keep in mind this is from the guy who has no talent but has owned 32 expensive Rickenbacker guitars. Education and IQ do NOT equal ... SMARTS!

And, if you are considering the WX for birding, think of all the birds you will lose sight of while fiddling with that independent focus. Astronomy, well that is another matter. If your target there is rapidly changing its proximity, you have MUCH MORE to worry about than focusing a binocular. :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
Edwin.
Yes, if it is a professional tool that assists ones work, or indeed a keen amateur whose observations would benefit from such a device.

People pay that and a lot more for a car.
Do they actually need the car?
The car costs money to run.

Some of my colleagues have spent three times that on top telescopes and top mounts, which they use with professional quality skill.
Some of the images and 4K videos they take are just incredible.

Their cameras and lenses also cost as much or more than the WX.

It is a personal decision.

I was surprised to read that a pack of twenty cigs a day costs about £8 or more.
In a year that is around £3,000.
In two years more than a WX.

What do the cigarette smokers get?
Probably illness.
Yet they often cannot quit.

They would have spent their money better on a WX.

Started reading the book...initial thoughts on it are positive. Only comment so far is there should be a little more explanation on the diopter adjustment. Bill does a good job, but did not state that most (I assume) binoculars have the adjustment on the right side, which would make it clearer.

Just for the record my copy has been ordered also. Never would have thought there would be a new book on Binoculars. As retail prices rocket, now is a good time for book. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Bill and others:

I just received my book today, and have had some time to read some of the articles
and snippets.
I really like the writing style, and the true to earth experience that has been put into the book.

Steve, you will really like the "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have".
That is a quote of Theodore Roosevelt, our 26th Pres. who had a ranch in the badlands of ND.
I do need to add, I have a grandson, whose name is Theodore. I'm proud of that.

This is brought out on the part about cleaning lenses.

So, I really like the book, and recommend it for those that are interested in optics.

Jerry

Bill and others:

I just received my book today, and have had some time to read some of the articles
and snippets.
I really like the writing style, and the true to earth experience that has been put into the book.

Steve, you will really like the "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have".
That is a quote of Theodore Roosevelt, our 26th Pres. who had a ranch in the badlands of ND.
I do need to add, I have a grandson, whose name is Theodore. I'm proud of that.

This is brought out on the part about cleaning lenses.

So, I really like the book, and recommend it for those that are interested in optics.

Jerry

Yo, Jerry:

Just know I told Steve the moment I stole the quote ... that I was stealing the quote. I can't believe I missed it, myself. My smallest TR is The rough Riders and my largest is The Bully Pulpit. :cat:

Good morning Bill. Just to let you know I have your book otw. Looking forward to reading it. I'm sure you put a lot of effort into it.

Good morning Bill. Just to let you know I have your book otw. Looking forward to reading it. I'm sure you put a lot of effort into it.

Thanks Chuck:

It was a project that should have taken 6 months, tops. But instead, with all my many setbacks—not the least of which was having a stroke—took 16 YEARS. I hope you find it useful. :cat:

Bill

Kudos and congrats Bill. I've not been on here much of late so I missed any pre-launch announcements.

BTW I'm now officially a septuagenarian. No stroke but still dealing with the Big C. :(

All the best.... and screw CN! LOL

I ordered the book today, Bill. From what I read on Amazon, it's gonna be pure, unadulterated, fresh and lively Bill Cook! Like many, I wish I'd read it twenty years ago...it would have saved me a fortune. I plan to read it aloud, under the battlements of Trim Castle, to the ghosts of your ancestors!;)

Para ti. Read the first paragraph; you will have, then. :cat:

Bill
Bill,
Disregard PM.
I tried original Windex on a greasy spot and it worked perfectly. Question...does off-the-shelf Windex need to be diluted or is it safe as is for bins?
http://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/us/en/brands/windex/windex-original-glass-cleaner

PS
I read Windex should not be used on eyeglasses, monitors, TV's, etc. Apparently it can adversely affect AR coatings. Any expert opinion on that?

Last edited:
Bill,
Disregard PM.
I tried original Windex on a greasy spot and it worked perfectly. Question...does off-the-shelf Windex need to be diluted or is it safe as is for bins?
http://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/us/en/brands/windex/windex-original-glass-cleaner

PS
I read Windex should not be used on eyeglasses, monitors, TV's, etc. Apparently it can adversely affect AR coatings. Any expert opinion on that?

Just understand, I have to charge more for "expert" opinions—you know what I think of many ... "experts.

Watering it down? If it is bad juju, it will just be a little less bad juju. Why not just use the original formula? What you used is good but it IS NOT the original formula—their advertising notwithstanding. No blue liquitint? I’m sure your wife’s cabinets have food dyes‑same bloody thing.

AR coatings are columnar, so microscopics CAN get to the lens surface. Whether it will damage anything is for those to say who are much smarter than me ... both of them—‘lil humor.* I can’t speak to that reality. I can say from experience that some people can’t function without creating problems where there are none—at least in the realm of practicality.

The Windex of today’s supermarkets would not be my first choice—I think the original formula is probably better for optics—but, I wouldn’t go too far out of my way to use it. I would, however, thoroughly rinse the workpiece to be safe. :cat:

Bill

* I was once chewed out on CN for referring to Dr. Marco Ciocca as a “college puke.” No one bothered to realize the fellow is a friend, that it was a long-standing joke between us, or that, after a dozen years of academics, I rate being a college puke, too—like Mark Twain, I never let school get in the way of my education. But then, some people feel it’s their place to have their guns consistently drawn even before trying to seek the facts.

Mayday; mayday:

I just received a copy of the bino book from a friend in England who wants me to sign his copy.

AT LEAST 1/3 OF THE GRAPHICS ARE SO OVER-SATURATED WITH BLACK INK, THEY CANNOT ILLUSTRATE WHAT THEY NEED TO ILLUSTRATE!!!

Supposedly, they have a good return policy. So, if your copy looks like it was printed in a start-up print shop ... PLEASE, send it back. You may be pleased. But, I think it is a poor reflection on what I am trying to sell. The proof I authorized—both digitally and in hardcopy—looked super and I think you deserve nothing less. Maybe if they have to eat a few copies they will pull up their panties and learn something about the printing trade. |:mad:||:mad:||:mad:|

Bill

Anyway, after many different solutions (breathe, saliva, isopropil alchool, soap water, microfiber, lens tissues from swarovsky) my conclusion is that the best of all cleaning stuff are the carson's C6 disposable lens cleaners (not the pen!).

Last edited:
My copy has slightly dark images that are nonetheless perfectly visible, with the possible exception that the hand position on page 165 is not clear until you read the text. I won’t be returning my copy for that.

Speaking of illustrations, I applaud the use of black and white. Colour would add nothing here but cost. So often that is the case.

I’m enjoying the book for its practical advice, authoritative description of collimation, historical context, anecdote, and distinctive voice. The layout and typography look home-made, but that only adds to the book’s charm and authenticity.

I am sure any binocular geek would enjoy it tremendously. Get it while it’s available!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back