• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How often do owls hoot in the daytime ? (1 Viewer)

osborne

Heard one hooting today at about 13:00. This is the second occasion I've ever heard this and I dare say it's not that rare. How often does this occur and why do they do this ? (listening for Frankis footsteps.........)

Our local pair have been doing a bit of "singing" in the late afternoon over the last 2 weeks. I suspect it has to do with population density -we are surrounded by open woodland & have quite a high density of Tawny Owls so there is a lot of competition for prime territory.

Owls

Slightly off the point,but in late 1997 I put up a realistic owl mobile in my classroom,in East Oxford,where the houses are very crowded etc.,small gardens.An owl,(long time ago),possibly Barn,sat outside of the window a few metres away and gazed at it for hours ! Either fancied it or a rival !
Mervyn.

Some owls do it regularly, like Glaucidium passerinum. But I have heard at least Aegolius funereus & Bubo bubo in broad daylight (and Caprimulgus europaeus, too!). G. passerinum is regarded as a dawn & dusk singer, and I have heard it often in the middle of night, too.

I've heard Barred Owls fairly frequently during daylight hours.

But the funniest is a small gray Eastern Screech-Owl who is currently a patient with our local rehab organization (he's lost one eye). Everytime our female handler opens the door to feed him, he trills or hoots at her! Day or night!

I'm really rather jealous. I fed the little hootie for a week while she was gone, and he never even opened his one good eye a single time for me!

what about Mourning Doves? If you guys get them in your area, then it could be that. I got confused once by these creeps. Almost made me look for a large owl. Dove's voice is like, "Hoo-oooh hoo hoo-hoo"

I can't recall hearing any day time Owls. The earliest I can remember being late evening whilst still day light in the Summer.

Osborne
I have observed all 5 native owls call during the daytime (as opposed to daylight hours) & would say that the Tawny is by far the most regular.
I agree with SteveG about this time of year especially (although we had young out of the nest prior to the end of March last year!). I also find they are noisy after September when the adults drive their young away.
I would remark on a Tawny calling during the day, but would not be surprised by it at any time of the year.

IanF Low Barns is a good a place as any. We Often hear them calling midday there. Had one calling at noon from inside the triangle nest box (from the Bitrn hide) a couple of weeks ago, it had a beautiful echoing quality to the call.
(The Tawny population used to be realy dense there before it started to become deforrested).

Regards StevieEvans.

barred owls do it in louisiana

In my area I often hear barred owls calling during the day, especially in spring. I've even heard conversations. Some of it may be a territory thing, some of it may be keeping in touch with a mate, I'm not sure. The barred owl has a very distinctive call which sounds like, "Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you-ALL?" It sounds to me sometimes like pairs may duet, if I am not imposing my own interpretation on their calls.

They call at night too, so I wonder sometimes when they get their rest.

osborne said:
Heard one hooting today at about 13:00. This is the second occasion I've ever heard this and I dare say it's not that rare. How often does this occur and why do they do this ? (listening for Frankis footsteps.........)

Not forgetting that owls breed very early in the year, as pointed out by StevieEvans, and they may be 'hooting' as a contact call to recently fledged young.
Just a thought, most owls aren't strictly nocturnal anyway, are they? I've only ever seen Barn Owl in the daytime.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back