• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Middle Eastern Pipits (1 Viewer)

Blackstart

Saxophonus pinus
Hi all-

Until seeing Abdullah's latest pipit photos and being stumped by a couple of them, I thought I was decent at pipit ID.

I have been looking at these two from a couple of autumns ago in Eilat, and I just don't have the guts to put a name to either of them. I hope somone else will...

Thanks.

-Adam

Attachments

• Pipit 1.jpg
    Pipit 1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 193
  • Pipit 2.jpg
    Pipit 2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 194
I think they're both tree pipits, 'cause of things like strong bill, contrast between ground colour of breast and belly, faint streaks on flank, short hind-claw (where visible). I am NOT an expert however, so hopefully someone else will be able to confirm or refute this ID.
James

The first bird looks like Meadow to me conveniently you can see the rump is unstreaked ruling out RTP The hind claw looks a bit short though... but the face pattern and underparts don't look good for Tree.

Second bird is a Tree Pipit.

Thanks James and Jane.

The hindclaw on the first bird is what has prevented me from attaching a firm ID to the photo. Well, that and the broken eye-ring.

-Adam

First one

Looks like a tree to me: contrast between breast and belly ground color, thinner streaking on flanks, well marked loral stripe, short hindclaw,quite thick bill and broken eye ring.

Giorgio

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back