• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (5 Viewers)

I also ordered a birder's guide to Mallorca and a map, both of which arrived this weekend. I can only recommend them. Very well made - with love! So, at least I should be able to name what I see or capture with my lens.
Sa Dragonera is definitely on my list of visits next week, and I hope to see/take pictures of some of the larger birds there.

One more question: If the parks only open at 9am and close at 5pm, won't it be rather late/too early to see the majority of the birds come and feed/drink?

Hi Herona, yes the park is open only this time, but if you are inside quitely watching from the hides, you can remain, specially if you have get the permit pass at office center.

I will recommend you Mortitx fields, in front of the tennis court and down path at the vinyegards and even quite longer until the small water reservoir, at this time of year it is good place for big raptors, small migrants, rock sparrow (at the reservois area) and the bonelli's eagle also. Dont forget also s'Albufereta, Maristany and the backyards of Port de Pollença, including Can Cullerassa.

I guess you got our guide and birding map, so thank you for your nice words.

Hello Josep,

my pleasure. Nice to meet you/one of the authors. :) Yes, this book is very lovely. I wish I could get at least one picture as great as any of the ones in the book. What is also ever so helpful, is the fact that it separates spring/summer and autumn/winter birds. It should be better known that this book is still in print and at 3rd edition and up to date.

Thanks for the additional tips, too. Mortitx is a bit far from Alcudia given what little time I have, but I will definitely pay Maristany a visit and consider Port de Pollenca on the way to Cap Formentor.

A few shots of crossbills at son real 14 sept.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_0832 (733x1024).jpg
    IMG_0832 (733x1024).jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0859 (1024x732) (2).jpg
    IMG_0859 (1024x732) (2).jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0866 (1024x732) (2).jpg
    IMG_0866 (1024x732) (2).jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0875 (1024x732).jpg
    IMG_0875 (1024x732).jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 78
Having been back in the UK for a few days, I have missed some of the news but from what I can see, there are still large numbers of migrant Booted eagles passing through Cabrera and also over Menorca. It has been quite an extraordinary year for this species.
I will be at the Cap both Saturday and Sunday and I will report from there.
Just as an aside, I watched a pair of Bearded tits taking in grit at Leighton Moss a couple of days ago, without doubt one of the most beautiful species I have ever seen, utterly jaw-dropping. Mike

Mike

I was at Leighton Moss yesterday, here's a couple of my Bearded Tit images taken from the said location

B Tit-154.jpg B Tit-56.jpg

Last edited:
I am still in the UK, Leighton Moss tomorrow which will be a trip down memory lane. Mike

Very much for me too - I used to go 1975-1979ish, in my young teens, I'd sneak up there on the train from Manchester to Silverdale when I was supposed to be doing local birding..;)

Fabulous Bearded Tit images Bafty :t:

Last edited:
I used to do voluntary work there during the summer holidays, in my mid to late teens. Saw my first Beardies there and my first Spoonbill. Also memories of mist-netting for waders at night in Morecambe Bay, trying to keep ahead of the in-coming tide - and failing!
Agree about the photos :t:

I wish someone would compile a book of people’s early birding experiences, it would make good reading. I bunked off work so many times in the 80’s & 90’s to go to see rare birds and I got in some right old scrapes. Mike

I managed a couple of hours at the Cap this morning. Over 100 Barn swallows, a group of 5 local Red Kite plus a few local Booted eagles.
Apparently there were 25 migrant Booted eagles on Cabrera and a Hawfinch seen too.
A Yellow-browed Warbler was also seen. Quite a few of these magical little Phylloscopus warblers were logged last year so hopefully there will be more to come. Mike

I have been trying to catch up with Common Rock Thrush on Majorca for the last 10 years without any success. So when one surprisingly turned up in the U.K. last week I couldn't resist the temptation to go for it. I had to make a 350 mile round trip but it turned out to be well worth the effort. The bird although sadly out of breeding plumage was an absolute stunner. It had taken up residence in a South Wales quarry which was not dissimilar to the quarry at the back of Cuber reservoir.

Attachments

• blaenavon 011 (640x482).jpg
    blaenavon 011 (640x482).jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 94
  • blaenavon 021 (640x476).jpg
    blaenavon 021 (640x476).jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 76
Nice one Kevin. Certainly easier to see here than the UK but still very scarce in Mallorca these days.
Perhaps you and I could flog up Puig de Teix next spring, it’s a very long walk but worth it. Mike

Hi Mike
I was just wondering do you know how the marbled teal are doing in S'Albufera at the moment, I believe that some birds were introduced around 2012 to the small breeding population that were already present.

regards
Sean

Hi Sean, I think they are doing very nicely. My birding pal Philip saw over 30 together recently at Albufera. The highest count last year was 42 at Albufera which I would imagine is close to the total number present. It will be interesting to see what this year’s figures will be although I would expect a healthy increase. Mike

A nice morning at the Cap with mostly resident birds including the two Bonelli’s eagles together, they seem inseparable, an immature and an adult male. A couple of Marsh Harrier through and a Booted Eagle. A Merlín was a nice addition and a Common Buzzard too. Also a Black Kite and two Eleonora’s falcons and a Great egret flew past the point early on. Lots of Barn swallows still moving through and groups of Common starling arriving together with Robins and Black Redstarts. Mike

Hi Sean, I think they are doing very nicely. My birding pal Philip saw over 30 together recently at Albufera. The highest count last year was 42 at Albufera which I would imagine is close to the total number present. It will be interesting to see what this year’s figures will be although I would expect a healthy increase. Mike

I believe more were released this year.
Martin

Nice one Kevin. Certainly easier to see here than the UK but still very scarce in Mallorca these days.
Perhaps you and I could flog up Puig de Teix next spring, it’s a very long walk but worth it. Mike

Hi Mike, I have made the gruelling climb up there twice before without seeing Rock Thrush. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place? However as you say, the climb is well worth the effort for the spectacular views from the summit. So yes, lets give it a go!

That's good news Mike seems like its going to be another success like the crested coot, pity the white headed duck didn't work out.

regards
Sean

Yes Sean, shame about the White headed duck, the last one I saw was ten years ago.
Thanks Martin, I didn’t know more had been released.
I hope Pep posts his list of rarities seen on Cabrera the past few days, looks like they had a good haul as usual. Mike

A few shots from the rock sparrow site just before the cap.
Cat, Weasel.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_1140 (1024x732).jpg
    IMG_1140 (1024x732).jpg
    684.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1179 (1024x740).jpg
    IMG_1179 (1024x740).jpg
    605.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1195 (1024x733).jpg
    IMG_1195 (1024x733).jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1213 (1024x732).jpg
    IMG_1213 (1024x732).jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 78
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back