• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First attempt at Drawing and Painting Birds (1 Viewer)

Well Everyone - Here it is...my first completely made up (ofcourse not markings etc!) painting. it's not fantastic, but it's a start!!!

Hope you like!

(please feel comfortable to be critiques!)

Zac

Only just caught up with this one Zac

...and I think it's a great start, it really comes across in your thread that you are enjoying your painting ~ you are eager to learn, humble and not afraid of your work which is to your credit ..this with your obvious talent will serve you well in the future I am sure.

I also love that Sooty, reminds of a dark squawley sea watch off Sheringham a few weeks ago;)

Matt

I personally have never seen Sooty as I live in Lancashire (except one was off Formby Point today...)
I am hopeing to have a Sea Bird Fest this coming weekend as I am staying to the West of Minehead, for a wedding, where I will be saying at a house which overlooks the Sea from a cliff! I hope to seawatch a great deal...can't wait!

Zac

(P.S. Thanks everyone for the comments)

Zac, IMO you paint properly, you put paint on the paper and the viewer finds something to look at, painting is no more complicated than that. But then there is the confliction between painting, and aesthetics, and add to that in our game identifiability. There are so many possible outcomes for the same picture it boggles the mind. I really like your last two pictures, do nothing more to them, overworking ruins pictures, look at them, if you're not entirely happy with them, think why, what could you do differently next time. Also, look at the positive points (there are very many!)

It's good that you see 'problems' with these pictures, never being completely happy and looking to do 'better' pictures will make you a great artist one day if you carry on. (Well, I hope that happens to me one day!) If you've got the drive, and the ability to be frustrated by what you paint, yet still pick up the paintbrushes, you'll be an artist.

If you want a technical suggestion, look at the feather groups of the bird, I think that is what I do when I paint (or I try to do). So, paint the ear coverts in one stroke, the greater coverts in one stroke, draw in the tertials as a group before dividing them up. Once you've got solid feather groups, the detail can come in later.

That's quite a chunk of writing, I've got verbal diarrhoea after speaking French so long, I've got some British birding mates staying and I haven't stopped speaking since, apologies if this post is going on, I'll end here! Cheers.

Nick offers excellent advice. I like the way you're approaching your subjects - if you can avoid the pitfall of painting detail for detail's sake, then I personally feel you're on the right track. (Detail is, of course important - but not at the expense of structure, form, local colour and tone) -always try to paint the birds 'as you see them'.
Good stuff and, for what it's worth, your paintings are far far better than mine were at a similar age. (Actually, they're a lot better than many of mine are, still!!!)

Hi Zac,
Take the excellent advice from the experts. All I can say is the shearwater is brilliant. I think you have created a real atmosphere to the painting. I like the robin also. The shadow of the bird and the form of the rock all add to the picture. well done and keep going. The more you paint the better you will get.
Steve

Thanks Everyone. I appreciate the comments, and am trying to take in all the advice!

Tim - I don't know about that! The last Painting, the redsanks, is excellent!:t:

thanks

Zac

I'm Currently planning my next piece. I am going to include waders, as, along with Gull, these are my favourite group.
I just did a quick sketch to see if I should make any changes to the final layout.
Should I include a gull instead of the top Redshank?

Zac

Attachments

• painting2002.jpg
    painting2002.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 88
Looks nicely balanced to me Zac. Perhaps the addition of another small wader just in front of the curlew sand and dunlin would bring the eye down through the drawing quite nicely. Just a thought. Looks good anyway.

Thats sounds intriguing Tim! I think that could be possible, but I was mainly hopeing for the concentration to be on the Curlew Sand, but we will only know when the painting is finished what it will look like!

i only just saw this zac but all i can say is very well done. i don't know which way round to hold a pencil and have tried drawing birds before, but they usually end up looking like sheep ;)

Hi Everyone.
Back From a Weekend Near Minehead. Tried to get a few Fieldsketches done whilst there.
Managed to get a Wilson's Phalarope on the way back, which I got two Sketches of, which was a Lifer.

More to come, but here's a few to wet your appetite! (not happy with the head of the wheatear or the Gannet!)

Attachments

• painting2004.jpg
    painting2004.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 92
Great field sketches Zac. I find it so difficult drawing from life -well done. I'm sure you'll get some good advice from our resident wise ones ;)
Will keep up with your thread and look forward to seeing more.

Nice work Zac. Particularly the gulls, lots of life in them and caught in interesting poses too. I see 'Ed's footbath' is having an effect on you too!

Woody

Great work Zac, Congrats on the Wilson's! nice one . Love the Gulls as woody
already pointed out . Lots of life your getting better and better.

Very impressed with the sketches, never seen a Wilson's, but I could recognise it! You're gulls with the wings out are superb, I'd have been proud to sketch those.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back