• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying a Handheld Digicam (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

Hi All,

Wanting to buy a Handheld Digicam - can any one recommend any? Must have:-

1. a Good optical zoom but stable
2. max budget £400
3. overall good quality

Any ideas?

In the old days.... I would have recommended the best specced Sony (I preferred their IS - personal issue) or Panasonic you can afford. I owned several of both make and they all worked flawlessly. The only downside was that with domestic/non-interchangeable lens video cameras, the better quality the image the less lens zoom reach you tended to get as a trade off.

Nowadays their are hoards of Chinese made and marketed video cameras out there that on paper appear much better value. I have no idea of their quality - probably its the same as with most other things, some will be superb, some will be rubbish and I have no experience of these. So unless you can find some sort of professional review they are a bit of an unknown.

I will still go on buying a lot of my audio and video stuff from Sony, purely for the known quality, however my video kit is not up to date so I cannot recommend something you can't buy.

Sorry for being so vague, but most of the video kit people try and sell me is excellent value to a pro or semi pro but clearly a bit expensive if you are not making an income from it. Even I am sticking with what I've got.

Many people are using their CSCs or slrs for video work. The quality can be excellent but you tend not to get the long lenses you get with a domestic video camera and you have a budget problem.

The alternative are the Super Zooms - not my favourites, but the Nikon P900 for instance has lots of reach, but struggles to focus at full zoom or in lower light allegedly. It is also slightly above your budget. Other Super zoom owners may well suggest alternatives.

Suggest that you move this to the video thread.

Last edited:
What new camera?

Hi All,

Wanting to buy a Handheld Digicam - can any one recommend any? Must have:-

1. a Good optical zoom but stable
2. max budget £400
3. overall good quality

Any ideas?

I'm also searching the field to decide what to get to replace my Canon SX40 which has failed after just 4 years. Canon had very little sympathy for my problem when I contacted them. So I am ruling out Canon in my search.Looking forward to your suggestions.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back