• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 105mm EX DG OS HSM F2.8? (1 Viewer)

RyanEustace

Ecology Student
I have been trying to find some reviews on this lens, and they are abit scarce. Does anybody have first hand experience with it and care to share it, or even better example photos taken with it?

Ryan

Yeah I've been looking around at reviews for it, but i was wondering if anyone owned one. I have tried having a look for any for sale but their all new and located in china. It was just a whim more than anything to see how it stacked up against the Canon 100mm IS L, however after seeing the additional price IS fetches on these lenses i have voted against it and i shall just put more time into using my tripod.

Ryan

Well being an L the Canon will be a better build quality and I've always read that Canon's USM AF was a little bit superior to Sigma's HSM. One of the main reasons I chose the Canon macros over the Sigmas. In terms of IQ though all macro lenses are supposed to deliver fantastic sharpness and have virtually nothing between them. The bokeh is more varied between them but again the Canon IS is supposed to be a real winner in this regard too.

I believe that both canon and sigma make extraordinary macro lenses - I have been using a sigma 150mm for years and I am extreemly pleased, it got broken though couldent take a fall on a rock in the malaysian rain forest:(

Right now I am waiting too see the 180mm 2.8 OS will cost and will probably go for that if it is not too expensive.

I keep getting surpriced by people mentioning the autofocus as a selling mark on macro lenses. I hardly ever use AF on macro - i believe 90%+ of my pictures with the 150mm is done with manual focus

I use the AF quite a lot so for me it made absolute sense. MF is great when the subject isn't moving but when a butterfly or something else is constantly on the move roaming around a flower and the like I find the AF faster and more accurate giving me a better hit rate than I'd be able to manage. Each to their own really.

I use the AF quite a lot so for me it made absolute sense. MF is great when the subject isn't moving but when a butterfly or something else is constantly on the move roaming around a flower and the like I find the AF faster and more accurate giving me a better hit rate than I'd be able to manage. Each to their own really.
Me as well Adam, Handheld and AF all the time for me, when ever I try MF by the time I get focus the target has flown :C

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back