• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Morocco & W Sahara 2-16 Feb 2011 (1 Viewer)

MSA

I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....
Arranged through the Birdforum "Companions for birding trips" forum, here's the trip report from myself, dantheman and Miilda - the report will eventually include photos and a list of other wildlife seen, but sitting on it awaiting these final tweaks largely defeats the purpose, which is (hopefully) to be useful to other visitors to the region, so I've unilaterally decided to post now! Fascinating to read Brian Stone's report, which suggests "our" Levaillant's Woodpecker is now nesting at the site where we saw it....

Photos will be added to the thread - Miilda has created picasa folders, and maybe links can be included?

Attachments

• Morocco and W Sahara 2 - 16 Feb 2011.pdf
    136.5 KB · Views: 286
First photo batch...

Attachments

• BFPiedCrow0218.jpg
    BFPiedCrow0218.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 115
  • BFHoopoeLark0351.jpg
    BFHoopoeLark0351.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 111
  • BFBlackCrownedSparrowLark03.jpg
    BFBlackCrownedSparrowLark03.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 122
  • BFDunnsLark0375.jpg
    BFDunnsLark0375.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 133
  • BFCricketLongtail0332.jpg
    BFCricketLongtail0332.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 129
next...

Attachments

• BFDesertSparrow0396.jpg
    BFDesertSparrow0396.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 110
  • BFCCCourser0237.jpg
    BFCCCourser0237.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 106
  • BFTristramsWarbler0505.jpg
    BFTristramsWarbler0505.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 133
  • BFScrubWarbler0474.jpg
    BFScrubWarbler0474.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 117
  • BFMoussiersRedstart0572.jpg
    BFMoussiersRedstart0572.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 106
..more..

Attachments

• BFAtlasShoreLark0656.jpg
    BFAtlasShoreLark0656.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 95
  • BFCrimson-wingedFinch0610.jpg
    BFCrimson-wingedFinch0610.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 95
  • BFLevaillantsWood0691.jpg
    BFLevaillantsWood0691.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 99
  • BFLongLeggedBuzzard0249.jpg
    BFLongLeggedBuzzard0249.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 119
  • BFLittleOwl0779.jpg
    BFLittleOwl0779.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 103
..last for now...

Attachments

• BFLBCrestedLark0697.jpg
    BFLBCrestedLark0697.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 110
  • BFWReefHeron0808.jpg
    BFWReefHeron0808.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 101
  • BFWReefHeronFlight0851.jpg
    BFWReefHeronFlight0851.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 98
  • BFMarbledDuckflight0912.jpg
    BFMarbledDuckflight0912.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 99
  • BFBaldIbis0869.jpg
    BFBaldIbis0869.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 120
Just curious - I see this thread's had 150+ views, but less than 40 people seem to have looked at the pdf Report itself! Is there a reluctance to open such files online, maybe? If so, I could always cut and paste over a few replies.....

I haven't looked at the PDF (North Africa is sadly a distant goal at this moment of time), but it is nice to see that the companions for birding subforum is being put to good use.

A very detailed report - good stuff!

Personally, despite the birds, I just could not do a trip like this. I am just not hard enuf!!:-C

Personally, despite the birds, I just could not do a trip like this. I am just not hard enuf!!:-C

You'd be surprised - I see we're both about the same age, and "hard" is not a word anyone who knows me would associate with my "qualities", such as they are ;)

A most enjoyable report-you seemed to make maximum use of your time and you certainly seemed to clean up on the birds

You'd be surprised - I see we're both about the same age, and "hard" is not a word anyone who knows me would associate with my "qualities", such as they are ;)

Just require my home comforts too much these days!

Being 1 of 4 people sleeping in the same car for one night would leave me in need of a weeks recouperation!

Congratulations on a very successful trip. I appreciate you cut down on finance expenditure, would it feasable doing such a trip independently? Safety etc.

Personally, despite the birds, I just could not do a trip like this. I am just not hard enuf!!
Safety etc.

It wasn't so hard, just feeling that we were homeless, too dirty sometimes and not so comfortable bed in Dacia Logan hotel. ;)
To avoid night driving you could follow my example. I forgot to take my driving licence (not intentionally, I'm honest!) and spent all nights on the most comfortable back seat sleeping. But then you risk to miss the Wild Cat as I did :C

Being 1 of 4 people sleeping in the same car for one night would leave me in need of a weeks recouperation!

Hey, we were only 3 in the same car and it was ... possible to survive ;) The birds which we saw were worth of it and even more!

... would it feasable doing such a trip independently? Safety etc.

I think yes, I felt quite safe... despite one moment when three big barking dogs surrounded me and anybody didn't hear my scream ... finally a truck appeared and they run away :-O

Last edited:
In case anyone's read this far but is worried about opening the pdf, I've reposted an "open" version on a thread HERE .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back