• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South African birds #2 Raptors and laarger birds (1 Viewer)

Greg McKay

I like the pretty colors
Hi All
I think I have start with these birds but need help with specific ID
1. Egret Bill color wrong for a Little egret Neck shape wrong for a great egret?
2. Maybe a pair of Tawny eagles need confirmation
3. So many I just dont know
4. The red On the back of the neck confuses me
5. I have the feeling this is a Goshawk

Attachments

• Egret.jpg
    Egret.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 314
  • Eagles.jpg
    Eagles.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 317
  • Falcon.jpg
    Falcon.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 347
  • Korhaan.jpg
    Korhaan.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 338
  • raptor.jpg
    raptor.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 363
3. Barbary possibly, not that I've ever seen one but seems pretty close to Perry but with rufous head, barring

I think # 3 is a Rednecked Falcon, will research a bit more though as I'm not as good with SA birds as my hubby (who is at work or he'd have posted)
Rach

Agree with Andrew for Ludwigs Bustard

Last edited:
1. Cattle Egret
2. Jackal Buzzard?
3. Red-necked Falcon
4. Ludwig's Bustard
5. Southern Pale Chanting Goshawk (imm)

David

Thanks for your help I

I will see if I have any other photos of 2 and 5 that may be clearer that I can post.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back