• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do I feed Tadpoles? (1 Viewer)

andrew_chick

Lincolnshire Birder
I have got about a dozen tadpoles in a tank, with a little bit of pond weed. They seem happy enough, but don't seem to be growing.

What should I feed them? Or is the little bit of algae on the pond weed all that they need?

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew - frog tadpoles are curious things and some remain vegetarian and some become more carnivorous. I always feed tadpoles a bit of bacon rind, or a square of catfood. Do it in moderation because the proteins introduce pollutants into the water. Trial and error - don't worry about the algae - they do eat it, but if it starts to get too much,it will remove the oxygen in the water and the 'poles will die. They don't need crystal clear water but they do need dissolved oxygen!
What conditions are you keeping them in?

Make sure you change your water regularly if you feed them fish food.
You can feed them little bits of boiled lettuce or spinach. I have also heard of rabbit pellet being used.

I have tried Goldfish flakes and its all gone very quickly - they seemed to like it. I will keep everyone informed of progress.

I will also change the water! I am keeping the tadpoles in a glass fish tank, and today my children spotted the 1st pair of back legs!

I also have a rock in the middle, so the adult frogs can get out of the water,

Thanks for all the information

Andrew

I have tried Goldfish flakes and its all gone very quickly - they seemed to like it. I will keep everyone informed of progress.

I will also change the water! I am keeping the tadpoles in a glass fish tank, and today my children spotted the 1st pair of back legs!

I also have a rock in the middle, so the adult frogs can get out of the water,

Thanks for all the information

Andrew

Little and often and your tank shouldn't get too bad.It is only wasted food that clouds the water.Good Luck .

When you change the water, esp if you use tap water, let the bucket of new water stand overnight near the tank so it is the same temperature as the tadpole tank.

don't worry about the algae - they do eat it, but if it starts to get too much,it will remove the oxygen in the water and the 'poles will die. They don't need crystal clear water but they do need dissolved oxygen!

If anything algae will increase oxygen in the tank, being plant-like.

One of the tadpoles has died!

But, something has eaten part of it - as there are ONLY other tadpoles in the tank, I guess it must be them! Do tadpole turn cannibalistic?

(Update - I have now observed one of the tadpoles 'nibbling' on its dead buddy!)

Andrew

When you change the water, esp if you use tap water, let the bucket of new water stand overnight near the tank so it is the same temperature as the tadpole tank.

My only suggestion with that is to check the Hardness or Softness of the
water too ... I seen SomeOne do this and like you say ... Made it the
same Temperature but next Morning it was'nt nice ... So make sure your
Water is'nt going to stun them in any way ... You can buy little bottle's of
cleansing stuff just to level the hardness or softness etc and it also kill's
any Chemical's in the water too, Just a thought just in case,
I have only ever fed mine on Normal grass and they have alway's grown and leapt away every Year ... Maybe i'll try Fishfood next Time ... Nice Tip thank's,
Take care,
John,

It's also beneficial to de-chlorinate the water to get rid of the chlorine added to our tap water. You can get this from most aquarium stores. I know a lot of people who think it isn't necessary, and some that do. My personal opinion is 'better safe than sorry'
Besides, since i have a tropical fish tank, i've plenty to spare :)

Yes, they do become carnivorous, and if there is insufficient food they will eat each other- whether in yur tank or in a pond.|=@|

I have a pond about 1 metre by 1.5 metre with about 1000 tadpoles in it. Before they had back legs I fed them on fish pellets. Now they are fed on best lean minced beef. A real feeding frenzy goeson but they don't eat the fat.

However, in a small tank, you are likely to get problems with pollution from the food remains, so frequent water changes are probably the answer. Lots of good advice here about how to do it!

pete

Happy Ending

Well, after a few weeks we now have our first froglet - see attached picture

Attachments

• frog_let.jpg
    frog_let.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 838
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back