• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Frontier PC 8x25 "feature"? (1 Viewer)

Cluster

Hi, a while ago I bought a pair of these as a lightweight set for those outings where a very compact set is required.
One of the reasons for choosing this model is that it is double hinged, I can fit it into my shirt pocket (although it makes a bulge!).

I'm happy enough with the performance, but have an odd problem using them that doesn't occur in any other double hinged bins that I have had.
When opening them to use, if the hinges are opened in an unbalanced way, for example if one hinge is left fully open and the remaining hinge is adjusted to accommodate my eyes, they become badly out of alignment. Open then close both hinges by a similar amount and they are good.

Is this normal for this model?

Dave..

I can't figure out why that would happen unless a prism is loose and moves when one of the optical tubes is at a different angle than the other one is. Does it happen even if you alternate the tubes you leave fully open?

Bob

I can't figure out why that would happen unless a prism is loose and moves when one of the optical tubes is at a different angle than the other one is. Does it happen even if you alternate the tubes you leave fully open?

Bob

Yes, this happens if either hinge is left more open than the other.
I can look through them as I adjust to balance them, the alignment improves and "snaps" to correct. Nothing seems to be loose.

Dave

One more question?

When you set it up correctly does the binocular lock into that position or can it still move and cause the binocular to lose alignment?

You can e-mail them with your question below. They are in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, USA.

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/contact.html

Bob

Last edited:
Hi, a while ago I bought a pair of these as a lightweight set for those outings where a very compact set is required.
One of the reasons for choosing this model is that it is double hinged, I can fit it into my shirt pocket (although it makes a bulge!).

I'm happy enough with the performance, but have an odd problem using them that doesn't occur in any other double hinged bins that I have had.
When opening them to use, if the hinges are opened in an unbalanced way, for example if one hinge is left fully open and the remaining hinge is adjusted to accommodate my eyes, they become badly out of alignment. Open then close both hinges by a similar amount and they are good.

Is this normal for this model?

Dave..

Just checked mine to be sure I didn't get this and I don't. Doesn't matter how I set the hinges the alignment is perfect. Was pretty sure anyhow that I wouldn't have this or I would have noticed it before although I usually set both hinges bent about equal.

Sorry I have no idea why that is happening with yours (except to speculate that the body section that the hinges attach to is not the right shape) but it does not seem to be how they should operate so you could return them for a replacement and hopefully you will get a good one but of course this is not a certainty as I found out with the terrible replacement pair of 10x32 Endurance for my Frontier.

I now have a Prostalk 10x56 which seem to require a different diopter setting depending on how wide the ipd is set and I noticed this immediately I bought the bins but the diopter switch wasn't working so Hawke fixed that but it still has this original issue. I put it down to the luck of the draw with this pair. Just means more fiddling to focus as I think the whole focus drive would need changed to sort it. The diopter setter also works very strangely in that as I change the setting it can go in and out of focus as I move it in one direction instead of finding a setting and then steadily going out of focus the further I move it and it can seem to set at a different setting if do this in the opposite direction.
Clearly something not right but not very wrong as to make them unusable. I am being a bit picky and critical. I have seen many bins with similar problems from all makes.

Definitely somehing to be said for buying in store where you can hopefully spot these problems and avoid them. Probably all the iffy stuff is eventually sold off online.

If you are otherwise happy with your 8x25 then it might be best just to stick with them and set them how they can be set i.e bending both hinges. Just might not be worth the bother of sending them in. My Sapphire have an irritating slack in the focus wheel but focus very sharply and are so good otherwise I don't want anyone to touch them incase I lose some other aspect?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, CliveP. Not sure what to do with em, as suggested maybe I will contact their customer service.....

Dave

Over the summer, I have used these on the occasions where I've been hiking but not taken my bigger bins. I've become increasingly impressed by their performance (given that I have to take care to open them correctly). My only criticism would be the narrow (104/1000) FOV, otherwise they are very good.

I notice that when closed, the barrels do not appear to be aligned perfectly. The objective end touches but the other end still has a 2mm gap between them. I suspect that this might be some aid to help alignment for differing eye spacing? Anyhow, it's not a problem now I'm aware of it.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back