• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How often do you glass? (1 Viewer)

newfie ghost

Just curious, how often do folks on this forum use binocular(s)?

Do you think you could ever wear a pair out?

I use them pretty much everyday. I was in Vancouver Canada earlier in the week and I never had any glass. It was good to come back :-O

I use binoculars pretty much daily.

I've worn two pair out. A Swift Nighthawk 8x40 porro restored by Nicholas Crista. The second was a Swift Trilyte 8x40 roof. Even Nicholas couldn't fix that one.

I use them during about three 1/2 hr - 45 min walks per day. When at our cabin in the spring, summer and fall I use them a lot more particularly when sitting on the porch. I haven't worn any out but I do tend to baby them.

When I was 10 years old my Dad gave me a 4 x 40 Galilean for my birthday. I beat it up unmercifully. It has dents on it but it still works. I don't use it anymore. Too much CA!:-O:-O

I use various ones during the week and change them too frequently to wear any single one out.

Bob

Last edited:
Same as the others. Every day...multiple times and multiple pairs per day depending on application and location.

I haven't worn any pairs out as I buy/sell regularly and use multiple models from my "core set".

Daily. I've even been known to put my bins on the table during meetings and when I had an office overlooking the river I had a scope set up, as well. I still have my old bins from when I started and I reckon my eyes are more worn out than the optics.

Chris

BTW To 'glass' someone, on this side of t'Atlantic, is definitly not something that should be done.

C

Last edited:
I have my binoculars with me every day, but not always able to use daily. I'd say 3-5 days a week, depending upon my schedule.

i'm a 'fair weather birder' so every sunny and dry day. some days when it's overcast but not too dim. it's not just because i own porros but when the day is dismal, so is my eyesight.

mr. quincy magoo

Spring time viewing: Every day 10-15 min, once a week 30 min, once a month 2 hours.

Winter more, summer more, fall, about the same as spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back