• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (2 Viewers)

College Res

50+ Eurasian Curlew flying over the dual carriageway nr College Res at 1625. Presumably from Stithians to roost on the estuary.

Stithians Reservoir

At dusk tonight.....

Reservoir -

Little Egret 1

Southern Cut Off

Eurasian Wigeon 22+
Canada Goose 30+
Mallard 4
Great Tit 1
Eurasian Sparrowhawk 1
Common Teal 4
Dunnock 1
Common Magpie 10
European Robin 2
Carrion Crow 3
Common Blackbird 3
Winter Wren 2
Common Snipe 34+

Eurasian Woodcock 2 (possibly 6)

Penryn estuary

today -

Mallard 5
Cormorant 2
Herring Gull 20
Black-headed Gull 73
Curlew 3
Greenshank 1
Redshank 13
GBB Gull 2
Little Egret 1
Goldcrest 2
Green Woodpecker 1
Raven over
Blue Tit 1
Song Thrush 1
Blackbird 1
Goldfinch 4
Pied Wagtail 3

I happened to be down at Gylly beach at that time, though I didn't have any bins and I didn't venture as far as Castle Beach but it does seem unlikely as there were plenty of dog walkers and people on the rocks. I'll investigate tomorrow morning...

Just seen a report on Birdguides of a possible unconfirmed report of a Blackpoll Warbler at Falmouth Station with Tit flock.

Dan - are you there?!!!

The dendroica was mine (I've just moved down here as a PhD student). Had point blank views (2 metres away or so) without bins for about 15-20 seconds from half way down the access ramp before it flew off with the tit flock. Unfortunately I'm incredibly busy sorting stuff out before leaving for fieldwork tonight so thought it would be best to get the word out locally - of course it being the internet age this soon reached birdguides etc.

I'm 99.99% sure it was a dendroica and from what I saw was closest to Blackpoll (although clearly on my views I couldn't rule out Pine/Bay-breasted etc) which is the most likely species anyway. The decision to put it out as a poss. Blackpoll wasn't mine (I was going to leave it as Dendroica sp.)

Would be great if people could find it again, its incredibly annoying that whats likely to be the rarest bird I'll ever find is going to be one of those that gets away!

Matt

The dendroica was mine (I've just moved down here as a PhD student). Had point blank views (2 metres away or so) without bins for about 15-20 seconds from half way down the access ramp before it flew off with the tit flock. Unfortunately I'm incredibly busy sorting stuff out before leaving for fieldwork tonight so thought it would be best to get the word out locally - of course it being the internet age this soon reached birdguides etc.

I'm 99.99% sure it was a dendroica and from what I saw was closest to Blackpoll (although clearly on my views I couldn't rule out Pine/Bay-breasted etc) which is the most likely species anyway. The decision to put it out as a poss. Blackpoll wasn't mine (I was going to leave it as Dendroica sp.)

Would be great if people could find it again, its incredibly annoying that whats likely to be the rarest bird I'll ever find is going to be one of those that gets away!

Matt

Mate - I'll be down first thing tomorrow morning giving the area a thorough search. I've you could spare the time before departing for fieldwork - it would be great if I could have a quick chat about what it was doing etc. My mob number is 07966 693 552.

Cheers,

Ilya

Matt

Great stuff! If this is refound and turns out to be either of the two you didn't rule out, prepare for an invasion!!!! Even Blackpoll would attract a good crowd! I'm not due in Falmouth for a few weeks, but could make an exception!

Matt

Spent a couple of hours down there this morning looking for it with Mark Grantham and Will Jones. No sign, but plenty of inaccessible gardens it could still be hiding in.

Oh no! Well hopefully this one will stick arround for a while like the bittern last winter at College did

Down in France for another week or so (been here over a week already, but minimal internet), would be nice to come back to ... although a nice American Wood Warbler would be nice too :eek!: All been kicking off!!!

(btw Jon, that's down at 'The Parents', so not really WP birding unfortunately - was hoping to hit the Pyrenees for Citril Finch, but still a 3 and 3/4 hour drive each way - bit too expensive unfortunately. And HB for the other day, whenever it was!!!! )

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back