• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

Great day in Norfolk today,
Holkham- 3 rough legged buzzard to west of Joe jordon hide, 2 marsh harrier, 242 Eurasian White fronts, 1 barnacle goose, 2 egyptian geese, 1 barn owl amost other things
1black brant on left hand side of road out of Holkham, by national speed limit sign with 80 brents, 3 bh gull

Wells - 2 barn owl

Titchwell - northern Harrier around 1300 12 snow bunts on beach, twit, hoody, smew etc.

Nice day birding, shame for distance drive

In support of the "spring is coming" theory however, I had lesser celendine in flower last weekend. Yesterday driving along by Ormesby Broad at midday I glanced right and had a bittern flying parallel to the car. It landed in the Northern corner by the road.

Had some grub in Wells Woods- but didn’t eat it ! Major, therefore, not disappointed.

In partial answer to my questions from yesterday (#10815), Richard M confirmed that Great Spotted Woodpecker will, indeed, make holes in trunks even when they’re on the ground.

He also coaxed out this grubby thing from near ‘my’ tree, judging it to be perfect woodie food.

The search for Redpolls again was fruitless. There were many dozens of finches, mainly Green, at the north end of Lady Anne’s Drive.

Attachments

• 016psesm.jpg
    016psesm.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 022psesm.jpg
    022psesm.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 60
Spring is coming? SNOW buntings showing well at Salthouse on the food out for them.

What is a number?

Were there nine, 10 or 11 shorelarks at Cley on the shingle ridge?
As I arrived two dudes walked through the flock which flew too close past me to count them. Seen later on the ground but mobile.

Later I had a flock of seven birds at Weybourne in the stubble. All lapland buntings I think. Too flighty to confirm all were laps as they flew past spooked by three microlites.

Picture as taken.

Attachments

• Salthouse snow bunting trio.JPG
    Salthouse snow bunting trio.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Parakeet

Bit of a surprise sighting today - whilst looking out of my window, a parakeet flew down Shotesham Common. I guessed this might have been the Ring-necked reported from Pulham Market last week (and also one in Tasburgh I was told about). However, I thought I ought to be honest and only claim it as parakeet sp. Amazingly, however, I got an email 5 minutes later from a guy in the village who often tells me about his wildlife sightings. He was very excited that he'd just been watching a "green parrot with a long tail" in his garden but it had just flown off! Most significantly, his email went on to say (without any prompting) that it had "orange colouring in the collar position". This would seem to back it up as Ring-necked - Alexandrine might be another option but I've seen them in India and they're noticeably bigger in the field than RNPs. So I think I'm on reasonably safe ground saying it was an RNP.

Of course, whether it's from London, or a closer cage, is another question entirely. Until anyone proves otherwise though, I'm having it! 89 for the garden!

Cheers

Andy

P.S. Note that departure of some (or in other years, all) of the Cantley Bean flock by this point in the winter is not unusual - they frequently depart very early and if they're disappearing from Buckenham/Cantley, then they're probably going back over the North Sea. Interesting that it appeared that the LWFG seemed to have gone, although I note there's a report today. Anyone know who saw it today - was it definitely THE bird (and not the hybrid)?

Congratulations on the Parakeet Andy!

I had a few Redpolls in the conservation area near the bridge at UEA today, including two with very deep pink colouration on the underparts. With the weather very overcast I couldn't tell whether it was raspberry or bubblegum pink though ;-)

All this concern with pink... I think it's shocking! ;)

The pink breasted Redpolls are another sign that spring's a'comin'. The best I could muster today was a 1w Mediterranean Gull with the hordes on Wroxham Broad...

James

Have also been trying with the redpolls this weekend too - three excellent Mealies at Strumpshaw on Saturday morning, but could only pull out Lessers (three) at Whitlingham this morning.

P.S. One of the rangers at Whitlingham said there'd been some Waxwings in the main car park by the cafe, Sat lunchtime. No sign when I popped in briefly though.

Andy

Last edited:
Have also been trying with the redpolls this weekend too - three excellent Mealies at Strumpshaw on Saturday morning, but could only pull out Lessers (three) at Whitlingham this morning.

P.S. One of the rangers at Whitlingham said there'd been some Waxwings in the main car park by the cafe, Sat lunchtime. No sign when I popped in briefly though.

Andy

Thats a pain, I was there until about 11 on Saturday. I still need Waxwing for my Whitlingham list, so hopefully they'll decide they like the area!

Parakeet sighting

I saw a presumed ring-necked parakeet in Shotesham along the public footpath from the bottom of Skeet's Hill towards the village. This way way back in August 1999.

My most recent ring-necked parakeet sighting was two years ago to the day in Southwold, 31 January 2009. My first in Suffolk - yet one more species which is a doubtful tick! (Not a wildfowl species for once.)

Hello,
There are 2 Peregrines currently wintering in the Wissey Valley near Gt Cressingham, an imm & an adult bird. They have been present since the end of November & are showing well from the Peddars Way Crossroads (near where the Badius Woodchat Shrike was).
Cheers
Daniel

Titchwell February 1st

Today's highlights

Shorelark - 7 on brackish marsh this afternoon
Snow bunting - 40 on brackish marsh
Water pipit - 1 on brackish marsh
Bittern - 1 in reedbed

I am on leave for a week so there will be no Titchwell updates until the 9th

Paul

Hi everyone,

Coming to Norfolk for a long weekends birding on Friday, Saturday, and part of Sunday. One bird I have not been able to find out any info on is Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. Does anyone know some really good hotspots at the moment? Some really recent gen would be superb.

ANY INFO GIVEN TO ME I SHALL KEEP QUIET AND NOT TELL ANYONE ELSE IF YOU SO WISH

Please PM is you prefer

Thanks a lot,

Andrew

It is still a tad too early for Lesser Spots to be announcing their presence although the odd male is now repeatedly calling early mornings....

There are few reliable sites these days in Norfolk for this seriously declining woodland species. Your best bet is Santon Downham, where two pairs bred in 2010 - they can be anywhere between 300 yards west of the bridge to the far extreme east end of the plantation that borders the junction of the Helen Wells Picnic site access road and that leading out from the village. It is best to be in position from dawn, as most male Lesser 'Peckers cease calling after 0830 hours

I have also seen a regular male near Thetford Power Station, between the scout hut and the green bridge over the Little Ouse and there is every chance that at least one male will have survived in Holkham Park and be found anywhere within the Monument location - again, if not calling, you have no chance

The optimum time for display from British Lesser Spots is from mid February to mid March, particularly on clear, crisp, bright mornings - a male will get in to a regular pattern and 'sing' and 'drum' from the same branch for over two weeks

What was prevalent about the beautiful weather we experienced on Sunday and Monday was the number of NORTHERN GOSHAWKS displaying - surprisingly early - but at one site, no less than six birds were up in the air together. Bear this in mind on your visit, as you can easily link both LSW and Goshawk in the same morning session in the Brecks.

Andrew

It is still a tad too early for Lesser Spots to be announcing their presence although the odd male is now repeatedly calling early mornings....

There are few reliable sites these days in Norfolk for this seriously declining woodland species. Your best bet is Santon Downham, where two pairs bred in 2010 - they can be anywhere between 300 yards west of the bridge to the far extreme east end of the plantation that borders the junction of the Helen Wells Picnic site access road and that leading out from the village. It is best to be in position from dawn, as most male Lesser 'Peckers cease calling after 0830 hours

I have also seen a regular male near Thetford Power Station, between the scout hut and the green bridge over the Little Ouse and there is every chance that at least one male will have survived in Holkham Park and be found anywhere within the Monument location - again, if not calling, you have no chance

The optimum time for display from British Lesser Spots is from mid February to mid March, particularly on clear, crisp, bright mornings - a male will get in to a regular pattern and 'sing' and 'drum' from the same branch for over two weeks

What was prevalent about the beautiful weather we experienced on Sunday and Monday was the number of NORTHERN GOSHAWKS displaying - surprisingly early - but at one site, no less than six birds were up in the air together. Bear this in mind on your visit, as you can easily link both LSW and Goshawk in the same morning session in the Brecks.

Hi Lee,

Thanks very much for the info, appreciated:t:

Congratulations on the Parakeet Andy!

I had a few Redpolls in the conservation area near the bridge at UEA today, including two with very deep pink colouration on the underparts. With the weather very overcast I couldn't tell whether it was raspberry or bubblegum pink though ;-)

Atleast 2 mealies have been present in the area, with one ringed yesterday.

See http://uearg.blogspot.com/ for photos

Does anyone have any information on the Welney Greater Flamingo? A colour-ringed bird can actually be a good thing. Blue is used a lot in Italy. Does it have any numbering?
GH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back