• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Premier LX 10 x 42 serial number? (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

Hi,

For the serial # 600681 for a Nikon Premier LX 10 x 42, what year were these produced? I ask because I am considering purchasing them, or the Zeiss Conquest HD 10 x 42. Generally speaking, which is considered the better
quality binocular as far as optics, build quality and ergonomics?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

For the serial # 600681 for a Nikon Premier LX 10 x 42, what year were these produced? I ask because I am considering purchasing them, or the Zeiss Conquest HD 10 x 42. Generally speaking, which is considered the better

Thanks!
The Zeiss Conquest HD 10 x 42 would be a better choice between those two. But for $650.00 you can get a Tract Toric HD 10x42 which is brighter and sharper than both of them.

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/binoculars/toric-10x42

Hi,

Thanks!

You can't tell the age of a Nikon binocular from its serial number.

Nikon designated these binoculars as "HG" in Europe and "LX" in North America.

There is a possibility of aging them in a general sense from their designations. You have to determine if you have a 10x42 "LX" or a 10x42 "LX L" or a 10x42 "Premier." My 8x32 LXL has an "L" after the 7.8º on the Focus Wheel.

The "LX" was the first series and used lead glass. When Nikon stopped using Lead Glass around 2004 or so they changed the designation to "LX L" (for light weight) and continued using it until they came out with the Nikon EDG, a double hinged series in 2008 sold in the USA only. At that time the "LX L's" designation became simply "Premier."

This double hinged EDG was dropped in 2010 and replaced with the single hinged EDG that has been sold world wide.

With the introduction of the new Monarch HG in 2016 the Nikon 8x32/8x42 and 10x42 Premiers were discontinued.

Here is a link from Allbinos with a history of the EDG: http://www.allbinos.com/215-binoculars_review-Nikon_10x42_EDG.html

Hope this helps somewhat.

Bob

PS: All of the LX, LXL, and Premier binoculars had Silver Coated Prisms so if the 10x42 Conquest has Di-electric Prisms it should be brighter than the Nikon.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back