• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Computer doodles for those that can't paint! (1 Viewer)

Thanks for your support Debs & Tim. I'm really after a job like Dave's with a coffee machine and hot & cold running soy sauce. I think it would help my doodling no end!

Des.

desgreene said:
Thanks for your support Debs & Tim. I'm really after a job like Dave's with a coffee machine and hot & cold running soy sauce. I think it would help my doodling no end!

Des.
I think that particular job has already been taken by Ed, Des - although I've no doubt Dave has a similarly creative and expressive use for office consumables.
Good luck regardless!

timwootton said:
I think that particular job has already been taken by Ed, Des - although I've no doubt Dave has a similarly creative and expressive use for office consumables.
Good luck regardless!

Ah sorry! Of course it's Ed who recycles the coffee and soy sauce, I should have checked back.

Regards,
Des.

ed keeble said:
very congrats on both the tablet acquisition and the resultant gull

out of interest, is the water done with a spattery brush, or with a filter?

Ed K

Thanks Ed for putting me onto this wonderful contraption in the first place.

For the record, the water was painted in quite roughly at first using a regular brush (fairly large point size) and then using dodge and burn to bring out shades, then I went over the whole thing using an impressionist brush (though to my annoyance I can't find again the exact one I used!). Then I used the smudge tool to work a bit on the waves crashing against the breakwaters in the distance. It's all fairly rudimentary - I wanted to finish it in a hurry - but I am reasonably pleased with the result.

Thanks again,

Dave

timwootton said:
If I see any more work of THIS standard on this thread USING THIS GODFORSAKEN MEDIA, I shall simply have to burn my bra, er, brushes!!!! (What the heck, I'll burn both) - It's just NOT fair, so stoppit!

Er, um . . . .how much . . er . . does one of these tablettey thingy and er the whachamacallit . . the . . .er . .. pencil thingy . . . cost, exactly - ish? . . please.

Beautiful work Dave - and here's to beautiful work (note the clever change of context) for Des. Rootin' for you, mate.

A couple of links Tim that will provide you with some idea of the range and price of these things where you are.

http://www.tablet4u.co.uk/google.html

http://www.wacom-europe.com/uk/index.asp

I went for 9x12 (roughly A4-sized) as there isn't much price difference between that and the A5 size. I think that A5 would probably be plenty big enough for what I do, but I opted to play safe.

Ponder on!

Dave

Hi Dave,
Many many thanks (actually I'm quite surprised at how inexpensive the entry level stuff is). However the brilliant and ergonomic Cintiq has a tremendous promotional strapline - and I quote:

"The Cintiq 21UX combines the patented WACOM pen technology with the newest TFT (21 inch, UXGA) monitor in one device. With the pressure-sensitive, ergonomic pen, it's just like working with pen and paper"

The embolden and italics are mine, but it made me chuckle a great deal.

Just like pen and paper . . . . . for nearly £2000!!!"

(You know I'm having a jest, but I did like the parallels). But, seriously, thanks for the info - I may . . . erhem! . . . invest at some point (but not in a Ciniq - I clearly couldn't afford a substitute for my sketchbook).

Dave - If you ever get a two hour period free, as a huge (and redeemable) favour, would you please make a hand painted version of the Kelp Gull. I would love to see the difference.
cheers - tim

Hmmm. I'll think I'll keep any 2 grand that may come my way for trips and/or a Swarovski scope...there's some nice stuff on this thread, but I think I'll stick to pencil and paper.

[QUOTE
Dave - If you ever get a two hour period free, as a huge (and redeemable) favour, would you please make a hand painted version of the Kelp Gull. I would love to see the difference.
cheers - tim[/QUOTE]

Hi Tim

That's a bit of a challenge. For starters I think it might take me longer than an hour or two (I am a very slow painter!), but, ok, I'll put it on my list for this year - how's that?!

Dave

New job starts tomorrow, so last daytime doodle for a while. May have to resort to doodling in the dark!

Attachments

• Lapwing3.jpg
    Lapwing3.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 114
desgreene said:
New job starts tomorrow, so last daytime doodle for a while. May have to resort to doodling in the dark!

Congrats on job and doodle. I have always taken the view that it is allowable to doodle on the job so long as combined with strategic thinking or other valuable work-related activities.

Ed K

ed keeble said:
Congrats on job and doodle. I have always taken the view that it is allowable to doodle on the job so long as combined with strategic thinking or other valuable work-related activities.

Ed K

Thanks Ed. I think I may leave it a few weeks before testing out their attitudes to on the job doodling ;)

Many congrats Des - also probably fairly wise to work your probation out before delving into doodle-induced lateral thought processes.
But doodling in the dark (sounds like something Bruce Springsteen might've written) is, I'm sure, one of the more theraputic and wholesome nocturnal activities .

timwootton said:
Many congrats Des - also probably fairly wise to work your probation out before delving into doodle-induced lateral thought processes.
But doodling in the dark (sounds like something Bruce Springsteen might've written) is, I'm sure, one of the more theraputic and wholesome nocturnal activities .

Cheers Tim.

Well this is all bit worrying..computer thread has gone a bit quiet and meantimes all manner fo real paintings and drawings are being posted..

maybe computer doodlers are still working away feverishly in the background :hi:

anyway, here's a Hawfinch work in progress just to keep some life in the thread (I see that the jpeg has gone a bit tiley on posting...not sure why)

Attachments

• no2hawfinchmasterUntitled-1.jpg
    no2hawfinchmasterUntitled-1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Oi Mr. Keeble, Sir! - I DO hope you have finished that sculptural b-t diver off before lapsing into virtual paint! Although I do find this profile portrait rather fetchingly excelllent, I grudgingly admit. However maybe the viridescence is somewhat overpowering the beautiful artwork (perhaps drop the b/g into a subdued grey/brown for a bit of fun? what do you think?). Effing lovely - as usual, sir!

Oh - It's just occured to me - Buzzard12 used to be a top animator in a previous life; combined with this standard of digital characterisation maybe we're onto a winner. I bags being Meglomaniac Chairman of the Board (not a soul singer, you understand!).

Some extremely fine works being posted on this thread,however..the thread title distictly says ''doodles for those who can't paint''

So,to address the fact that everyone here is far too talented for this thread, I feel compelled to upload another one of my efforts ;)

..well it is a doodle,and I can't paint!

Matt,with the assistance of a rather pleasant cabernet sauvignon ;)

Attachments

• owl and robin.bmp
    784 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
timwootton said:
Oi Mr. Keeble, Sir! - I DO hope you have finished that sculptural b-t diver off before lapsing into virtual paint! Although I do find this profile portrait rather fetchingly excelllent, I grudgingly admit. However maybe the viridescence is somewhat overpowering the beautiful artwork (perhaps drop the b/g into a subdued grey/brown for a bit of fun? what do you think?). Effing lovely - as usual, sir!

Good point on the vivid green- it's the background colour which I use so I can see where the edge of the bird is, rather than an artistic choice. So I didn't think to switch it off- when I get a chance I will repost with something more in keeping. (I see Dave B's plover acquired a rather subtle background shade last time we saw it.)

As for T Van's question about how long it takes- hard to say as these things get nudged along with a few hours here and there after work (not during I promise..) or over a weekend. So cumulatively, several tens of hours and plenty of fiddling about and changes of mind along the way. But if I was working to a deadline with no mucking about, this would (should) be about a 10 hour= 1 day job on photoshop...and if working to a deadline and doing it for a living, well I guess it would have to be a sub 10 hour job.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back